Motion Graphics and Animation BA (Hons)
COURSE INFORMATION (2013 ENTRY)
3 years full-timeArts, Design and Social Sciences
Design Building, City Campus East
For basic course information and qualification requirements read on. For detailed information about the Northumbria Design experience including projects, placements, exhibitions, staff, galleries and much, much more visit www.northumbria.ac.uk/motiongraphics
Thanks to technological advancements and changes to consumer tastes and expectations, employers are crying out for designers who can fuse artistic talent with technological knowledge. Motion Graphics and Animation Design meets this need.
This degree focuses on motion graphics and animation from a design perspective and their applications in film, television, computer games, advertising and new media. Animation design is becoming an increasingly important and more widely used medium for traditional design and new media agencies, as advertising is increasingly multi-platform, moving and screen based. The course addresses this need by developing designer/animators who can work across this broad spectrum of the design industry and take advantage of these many opportunities. Students will gain a broad understanding of the principles of graphic design as well as specialist knowledge of 2D and 3D animation, sound design, 3D games, compositing and special effects.
An underpinning of historical, cultural and professional contexts is given through lectures, visiting lecturers and European study visits.
Motion Graphics and Animation Design is taught by staff with significant professional and academic experience in both motion graphics, animation and design.
Who would this course suit?
This course is ideal for students from a Graphic Design, Fine Art, Illustration, Media and Animation background. Good hand skills and a strong visual imagination are far more important than any computing experience. We do not expect prior experience of animation, as all relevant animation tools will be introduced during the course.
Did you know?
An award winning course, in 2012 two of our students were shortlisted for their entries to the Red Bull Canimation Competition, and one of our students was awarded with a yellow pencil at D&AD in the advertising category.
Also, in 2011 three of our students won awards and recognition in top international competitions including the prestigious RSA Modern Age and D&AD Best New Blood Awards.
Where our graduates work
This course will equip you to work in a wide range of jobs across the expanding world of Motion Graphics and Animation. Typical opportunities arising in the film, TV, games and mobile industries include:
- Graphic Designer
- Art Director
- Games Animator
- Storyboard Artist
- Character Design
- Special Effects Artist/Director
- Matte Artist
- Game Level Design
- Technical Director
- 3D Designer
- 3D Modeller
LEARNING AND TEACHING METHODS
You'll develop your knowledge and skills through lectures, seminars, studio demonstrations/laboratory teaching and tutorial teaching.
Much of the learning on this programme is experiential, responding to design briefs in which you’ll be guided by staff in a variety of ways.
You’ll spend 42% of your time in scheduled work and 58% of your time studying independently.
You'll be mainly assessed by coursework, which makes up 97% of your mark, while practical assessment makes up the remaining 3%.
You'll be assessed through motion graphics and animation projects, essays, a dissertation, presentations and critiques.
Graduates will find employment within the design, broadcast animation and television, and games industries with potential careers as a director, producer, art director, storyboard artist, TV based graphic designer, special effects artist/director, matte artist, game level design, technical director, 3D designer and 3D modeller. Some students also choose to continue to postgraduate study.
People who looked at this course also looked at:
Northumbria University has taken reasonable care to ensure that the information published is accurate at the time of publication. However, the University gives no warranty or representation as to the quality, accuracy or completeness of the information.