Business Studies BA (Hons)
COURSE INFORMATION (2013 ENTRY)
4 years sandwichBusiness and Law
Law and NBS Building, City Campus East
The BA (Hons) Business Studies degree is a highly regarded qualification both nationally and internationally. It is an outstanding opportunity to gain knowledge and understanding of the full range of business and management disciplines in preparation for a career in management with multinational enterprises.
Over the first two years, you’ll be exposed to the main functional areas of business and related subjects. In the final year you will get the chance to specialise in one of these subjects to broaden and deepen this understanding.
The third year is a year-long placement that gives you the opportunity to develop the practical business skills and apply theoretical knowledge gained over the first two years of the programme.
You will get full support from the Placements Office to obtain a placement to prepare you for your final year studies and future employment. All placements are subject to passing an interview and may be undertaken with a number of multinational and smaller companies.
LEARNING AND TEACHING METHODS
The programme is delivered through a combination of lectures and seminars alongside sessions from visiting speakers and independent learning.
Students choosing to take an industrial placement year will also be able to develop themselves as reflective continuous learners in a work environment.
You will be assessed in a variety of ways including coursework, written exams and practical exercises. Many assessments are based on real-life case studies and business scenarios and are an authentic and relevant representation of how businesses work.
All students undertake a major in-depth piece of work, investigating a topic of their choice relevant to their chosen pathway in final year.
Students can follow a specialist pathway in the final year and those studying a particular specialism are able to gain partial exemptions from the respective professional bodies:
- The Marketing Pathway is recognised by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) for the purposes of meeting qualification entry criteria for the Professional Certificate in Marketing: http://www.cim.co.uk/home.aspx
- The Logistics Pathway is recognised by the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT) for the purposes of full exemption from the educational requirements for chartered membership: http://www.ciltuk.org.uk/pages/home
The Logistics Pathway is recognised by the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS) for the purposes of application for full CIPS membership: http://www.cips.org/
Graduates have a good employment record covering a wide range of appointments in industry, commerce and the public sector, working at national and international companies including Marks and Spencer, Barclays Bank, Yorkshire Water Authority, Xerox, Sainsbury, IBM and Proctor and Gamble.
Successful completion of the placement year to City and Guild standards allows the University to award the Licentiateship of City and Guilds (LCGI), a national qualification recognised by employers such as Lloyds TSB.
People who looked at this course also looked at:
- Business Management BA (Hons) Full Time
- Accounting BA (Hons) Full Time
- Business with Economics BA (Hons) Full Time
- Business with Human Resource Management BA (Hons) Full Time
- International Business Management BA (Hons) Full Time
- Business with International Management BA (Hons) Full Time
- Human Resource Management BA (Hons) Full Time
Northumbria University has taken reasonable care to ensure that the information published is accurate at the time of publication. However, the University gives no warranty or representation as to the quality, accuracy or completeness of the information.