The P3i centre, which is based at our London campus in Islington, provides the team with an open plan floor of approximately 200m sq. feet interconnected with a walkway. This studio as lab / lab as studio provides the ideal environment for our team to imagine, create, assess, demonstrate, evaluate then evolve, with state of the art tools such as;
- A 3D bioplotter capable of up to 5 component material printing. This will enable us to research aspects of bio inspired surface and interface design which can be explored using unique fabrication geometries and material mixtures
- An advanced digital weaving system with 3D capability to investigate ‘awkward’ materials development
- A large area, flat bed screen printing capable of generating active multilayer films relevant to printable iFAN’s – intelligent Fabric Area Networks and both textile and thin film polymer photovoltaics
- A multi-component spin coating facility capable of generating transparent thin continuous multilayer films from bio, electro or photo active materials down to 50 nanometre thickness a technique that will enable us to rapidly examine new materials interface combinations
- A Microfab, state of the art 2 & 3D ink jet printer capable of printing bio medical material sensors as well as organic EL and OLED devices which will help us to explore the role of EMR in the development of e-textiles, responsive surfaces and human – material interactions.
- A small group of characterisation and measurement tools which are required to deliver systematic data. These tools include precision balances, electrical, thermal and optical measurement devices and high precision optical microscopy with an atomic force microscope tapping mode probes for nano and microscale surface & interface analysis. Along with USB microscopes and Vidicon Sense cameras, this equipment will help us to develop the SUPERSENSE theme including Fashion interaction and wearable intelligence.