Tina Tai Chi Wu
MA Design Management
Home Country: China
1. Why did you choose Northumbria School of Design Newcastle, and what did you know about us before you applied?
Northumbria School of Design has a great reputation, and the course I chose is perfect in terms of helping me achieve the type of career I would like to aim towards.
2. What do you most like about Newcastle, and how do you find the city?
I like the people here the most, they are friendly, warm and easy-going.
3. How do you find the cost of living in Newcastle?
4. Did you find the Design School welcoming?
Yes, indeed. I come from a different academic background but in the school I’ve never felt alienated in any way.
5. How do you find your tutors and the staff within the School?
The tutors are very experienced in their chosen fields, and are extremely passionate in helping students achieve their goals.
6. What are the facilities like?
Plenty and modern.
7. What do you like most about the School of Design?
The energy in the school and the space for creativity and new ideas.
8. Tell me a bit about your course?
The MA Design Management course gives us the chance to work with people from different cultural and professional backgrounds. The course focuses on how to add design value to the strategies of a company and how to maximise the strengths of organisations using design thinking. We also take parts in numbers of real-life group projects, which allows us to apply what we have learnt.
9. If you had to pick an object to represent your course, what would it be and why?
A Smoothie. It’s a mixture of many different things which are good for you.
10. What are the most valuable lessons you have learnt to date during your time with us?
Exploration is part of the process, and the process is just as important as the final outcome.
11. If you had 3 words to sum up your time with us what would they be?
12. If you could offer some advice to students thinking of coming to study here what would you say?
Allow time and space to take in information. Be open-minded and be open to challenges.
13. What are your plans now for the future?
I’m planning to use my final thesis as an explorative tool to help me find out where my next step should be in terms of my career.