Home Country: Indonesia
Link Institution: BINUS International University
1. Where are you from, and where did you study prior to coming to study with us?
I'm from Indonesia and my home university is BINUS International
2. Why did you decide to study at Northumbria School of Design?
I was given lots of information about the School of Design from Northumbria staff that visited my home University, and the partnership between Northumbria University School of Design and BINUS International allowed me to study abroad on the double degree program. This is a great opportunity that has enabled me to gain new learning experiences, as well as living independently.
3. What do you most like about Newcastle, and how do you find the city?
Newcastle has everything you need, and it is all within walking distance, so nothing is ever too far away. Newcastle also has a great night life, and the University is based right in the city centre so it isn’t hard to find at all.
4. Did you find the Design School welcoming?
Very welcoming, one of the technicians offered to give me a tour around the School of Design, explaining about entire building.
5. How do you find your tutors and the staff within the School?
Very helpful, always available if you need any help.
6. What do you like most about the School of Design?
The facilities are complete and modern. I wish I had attended the course from first year.
7. What are the most valuable lessons you have learnt with us so far?
During my time here I have learnt; how to communicate my conceptual ideas, the development process of visualization, the way of thinking and how to direct myself independently, to name a few.
8. If you had to pick an object to represent your course, what would it be and why?
A long street - the process of learning and finding the right path can be a struggle at the beginning and takes quite a bit of adapting too, but in the end it’s worth it as you gain a lot of knowledge and experience.
9. What skills would you say you have gained/improved since the start of your course?
I have learnt how to manage effective research, criticise my own progress, demonstrate creatively and understand solutions independently. I also challenge myself to explore new technique and methods which I have never tried before.
10. What new knowledge of your subject area have you learnt so far on your course?
Based on the background as an international student, I’m able to analyse the difference in the teaching methods here to my home university, BINUS International. Due to the cultural and lifestyle differences between both countries, the objective becomes different. At the School of Design, the objective focuses on how to achieve effective solutions in creative problem solving by doing research, looking for the conceptual ideas, doing experiments using different techniques throughout the design process until you get to the final execution. Those experiences have enabled me to be open-minded towards all perspectives and possibilities, which is useful for my future career.
11. How do you feel you have changed as a person since being at Northumbria School of Design?
I used to be a person who always needed direction from lectures. Since being at Northumbria School of Design, I have learnt to direct and evaluate myself independently. I’ve learnt how to develop myself and improve my confidence in taking the right creative decisions for my work. Moreover, because English is not my first language, I feel that my skills to communicate in English have also improved.