Distribution of Degree Parchments
The parchments for University degrees and other awards are printed by the Student & Programme Administration Office of the Academic Registry, following the final examination boards and are sent to the student's last recorded home address via standard post.
Please Note - Students must ensure their home address is correct before completing their course and contact their school office if they wish to change/update this address.
Parchments will include the student's name as recorded on the University’s student record system. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that their full legal name is recorded correctly and the home address is up to date, complete, and correct. Please update any incorrect or incomplete information by contacting your school office or by using the ‘My Details’ section on ‘My Northumbria’.
Certificates may be withheld from students by the University for the following reasons:
- In the case of a student appeal against the final award, the parchment will be withheld until the outcome of the appeal is known.
- In the case of a graduating student having outstanding debts to the University, the parchment will be withheld until the debt is cleared. Please contact Finance to discuss any outstanding payments that need to be made by calling (0191) 227 4050 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Duplicate Certificates: Online Application
To apply for a duplicate certificate or transcript please use our online application system. To access the online application system please go to the top of this page and click on the ‘Duplicate Certificate Online Application and Payments’ or ‘Duplicate Transcript Online Application and Payments’ Tab on the left hand side. All applicants are required to complete an online application form, which includes the declaration, and pay the fee of £30. Upon completion, the online application will be sent to the Student & Programme Administration Office of the Academic Registry for processing.
An applicant seeking a duplicate certificate for a University award must provide the University with either:
- The damaged or defaced certificate
- The University's Declaration section of the online application. You must set out fully the circumstances in which the certificate was lost or destroyed, and include an undertaking that, should a duplicate be issued, it will be returned to the University if the original is subsequently found.
Please Note, the Student and Programme Administration Office aim to process applications within 7-10 working days; this may be longer during peak periods. Graduates are only able to request one copy of their original certificate; multiple applications will not be processed.
Duplicate Certificates: Postal Application
To apply for a duplicate certificate by post please complete the Duplicate Certificate/Letter of Confirmation application form, which can be downloaded from the right hand side of this page. Please post the application form to us along a cheque made payable to ‘Northumbria University’ for £30 to: The Certificates Team, Room 209, 3 Ellison Terrace, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 8ST.
Duplicate Transcripts: Online Application
Graduates should receive a copy of their academic transcript along with their final degree certificate. Like the Certificate, this is an official university document and graduates can only receive one official copy. If graduates have lost or misplaced their original transcript they can apply for a replacement at a cost of £25 by completing the online application form by clicking on the ‘Duplicate Transcripts Online Application and Payments Tab’ at the top left hand side of this page.
Please Note original copies of transcripts and certificates cannot be sent to third party institutions. If graduates are applying for further study etc the Student and Programme Administration Office can send certified copies of a graduate's certificate and transcript to addresses provided by graduates, however, this may not be possible during peak periods or to specific deadlines.
Certificates - If graduates do not wish to pay the charge for a formal degree or award parchment, they may wish to apply for a Letter of Confirmation (see below). Graduates can also request a certified copy of their award certificate. Letters of Confirmation and certified copies of the degree are available free of charge from the Student & Programme Administration Office. To apply, please complete the form at the top right hand side of this page entitled ‘Certified Certificate Application Form’ and email this to email@example.com alternately, please call (0191) 227 4600 to speak to the certificates team.
Transcripts - If graduates do not wish to pay the charge for a formal transcript, they can apply for a certified copy of their transcript by contacting the Student and Programme Administration Office Tel No (0191) 227 4600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you require a letter to support applications and as proof of your award we can supply a conferral letter printed on University Headed Paper. This document details the course that you studied, the award you achieved, the level of award and the date that you graduated. To apply, please complete the form at the top right hand side of this page entitled ‘Letter of Confirmation Application Form’ and email this to email@example.com If you have specific requirements for the letter please call (0191) 227 4600 to discuss this further or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Newcastle Polytechnic Certificates - Pre-1992 Graduates
In 1992 Newcastle Polytechnic became the University of Northumbria at Newcastle, also known as Northumbria University. This change in status from Polytechnic to University came about following the Further and Higher Education Act 1992, which abolished the Council for National Academic Awards (CNAA), the body responsible for awarding all Polytechnic degrees.
Certificates - The Open University are now responsible for the care and custody of all CNAA records for the purposes of authenticating original award documents, issuing copies and providing verification of entries. Please visit their website for an application form http://www.open.ac.uk/validate/p4.shtml . For queries please call (0)1908 332851/52.
Transcripts - With the exception of a few selected Health related courses, Northumbria University does not hold transcripts for pre-1992 Polytechnic students as they were not administered by the University. We are therefore unable to produce transcripts for this period. Pre-1992 transcripts are also not available from the Open University. Transcripts for this period are likely to have been disposed of at point of transfer to University status.
For replacement BTEC awards prior to 1992, please contact EdExcel on 0870 240 9800.
Why haven’t I received my certificate?
- There are several reasons you may not have received your certificate. If you have received your results then the certificate will be sent out to you 4-6 weeks after the school notify our department of completion of the degree. The will, therefore, be a delay between receiving your results and receiving your certificate.
- The certificate may be lost in the post. Please contact email@example.com if you have been waiting longer than 6 weeks for your certificate.
- Option to retrieve students will not receive their certificate until their retrieval has been awarded.
- Students re-sitting modules will receive their certificates once resists are completed and our department has been notified of your success.
I cannot find an answer to my question; who do I need to speak to?
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (0191) 227 4600 to speak to a member of the certificates team.