Digimap Ordnance Survey maps and data
Digimap Ordnance Survey from EDINA is a service for UK higher education providing various Great Britain Ordnance Survey maps at a number of scales from 1:1250 to 1:250 000, including contours and a digital terrain model (DTM), together with a Gazetteer.
Digimap Classic allows viewing and printing of maps at fixed scales; the
Digimap Carto service allows customised map creation. Maps can be printed
or the spatial data contained in them can be downloaded for use in local
software, such as for GIS. GIS software is available in one of
the Applied Science labs or may be downloaded onto personal pcs.
(See full details of content in the Digimap overview)
Users and uses
- Use is for teaching and research only.
- The data cannot be used for administration or estate management purposes, though maps may be used in free university brochures, leaflets and flyers.
- The OS data must not be used for commercial gain or for commercial research.
- Use of the service may be from home to view and print maps, but spatial data can be downloaded only from a machine with a .ac.uk address, ie by using the Northumbria desktopANYWHERE service.
- Use may not be from a workplace or from overseas. Staff may take a machine with OS data on it overseas.
- Students on teaching practice may use teaching material with Digimap data in schools.
- Digimap data and maps may be used in various types of publication (not books) and at conferences. There are limitations on the size of maps allowed.
- You must register with the Digimap service by completing the online registration form. You will be informed by email when your access is activated - normally within two days.
- Access is controlled by Northumbria University usernames and passwords. You will need these to complete the Digimap registration form.
- Use from home to view and print maps requires another form and authorisation by a lecturer.
- Class registration is no longer possible.
Using the service
Access the service from the Digimap site. There are Quick Reference Guides to help.