What happens when your books are overdue
- As a courtesy, reminders are sent out for items when they are due for return to the library.
- An email reminder is sent to your Northumbria email address before your items are due for return.
- 7-14 days after the items are due for return a further email is sent to you.
- 21-28 days after the items are due a SMS text message is sent out.
- If, after 35-42 days you still have not returned or renewed the items, a final reminder will be emailed.
- After 56-63 days if the items are still overdue the matter is referred to the University's Finance Department who will instigate recovery proceedings.
IMPORTANT: Items can be renewed on-line via the Library catalogue using the "My Account" option. You will need your University Smartcard barcode number and PIN.
Fines are charged on ALL outstanding items. 4 week loans are 15p per day & 7 day loans are 20p per day. The maximum fine for a 4 week loan is £10.00 per item & £20.00 for a 7 day loan item.
Please note that if you incur fines in excess of £5.00 your library account may be suspended.
Northumbria University students can now pay overdue library fines online through the e learning portal or My Northumbria. Minimum payment is £1.00.
REMEMBER: Fines can be avoided by returning or renewing items on time.
Lost or Damaged Books
Lost or damaged books will be charged at replacement value. A non-refundable £10 handling charge plus fines is also charged.
Credit/debit card payments for charges/fines over £1.00 can be processed at City Campus Library and Coach Lane Library.