Professor Ling Shao joined Northumbria University's Department of Computer Science and Digital Technologies as Chair in Computer Vision and Machine Intelligence in 2014.
Ling Shao received the B.Eng. degree in Electronic and Information Engineering from the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), the M.Sc. degree in Medical Image Analysis and the Ph.D. (D.Phil.) degree in Computer Vision at the Robotics Research Group from the University of Oxford.
Prof Shao is currently Chair in Computer Vision and Machine Intelligence with the Department of Computer Science and Digital Technologies, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne. Previously, he was a Senior Lecturer (2009-2014) with the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering at the University of Sheffield and a Senior Scientist (2005-2009) with Philips Research, The Netherlands. His research interests include Computer Vision, Image/Video Processing, Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning. He has authored/co-authored over 200 papers in well-known journals/conferences such as IEEE TPAMI, TIP, TNNLS, IJCV, PR, ICCV, CVPR, IJCAI, ACM MM and BMVC, and over 10 EU/US patents.
Ling Shao is an Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, and several other journals. He has edited three books and several special issues for journals such as TNNLS and PR. He has organized a number of international workshops with top conferences including ICCV, ECCV and ACM Multimedia. He is/was an Area Chair for WACV'14, BMVC'14/15 and ICME’15 and has been serving as a Program Committee member for many international conferences, including ICCV, CVPR, ECCV, BMVC and ACM MM and as a reviewer for many leading journals. He is a Fellow of the British Computer Society, a Fellow of the IET, a Senior Member of the IEEE, and a Life Member of the ACM.
Google Scholar Profile: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=z84rLjoAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
0191 349 5220
M. Yu, L. Shao, X. Zhen and X. He, “Local Feature Discriminant Projection”, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (T-PAMI), doi: 10.1109/TPAMI.2015.2497686, 2015.
M. Yu, L. Liu and L. Shao, “Structure-Preserving Binary Representations for RGB-D Action Recognition”, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (T-PAMI), doi: 10.1109/TPAMI.2015.2491925, 2015.
F. Zhu and L. Shao,“Weakly-Supervised Cross-Domain Dictionary Learning for Visual Recognition”, International Journal of Computer Vision (IJCV), vol. 109, no. 1-2, pp. 42-59, Aug. 2014.
L. Shao, L. Liu and X. Li, “Feature Learning for Image Classification via Multiobjective Genetic Programming”, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1359-1371, Jul. 2014.
L. Liu, M. Yu and L. Shao, “Projection Bank: From High-dimensional Data to Medium-length Binary Codes”, IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), Santiago, Chile, Dec. 2015.
S. Jones and L. Shao, “Unsupervised Spectral Dual Assignment Clustering of Human Actions in Context”, IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Columbus, USA, 2014. [Oral – Acceptance Rate: 5.75%]
S. Jones and L. Shao, “A Multigraph Representation for Improved Unsupervised/Semi-supervised Learning of Human Actions”, IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Columbus, USA, 2014.
F. Zhu, Z. Jiang and L. Shao, “Submodular Object Recognition”, IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Columbus, USA, 2014.
D. Wu and L. Shao, “Leveraging Hierarchical Parametric Networks for Skeletal Joints Based Action Segmentation and Recognition”, IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Columbus, USA, 2014.
My Northumbria Research Link can be found here
Updated publications can be found at http://lshao.staff.shef.ac.uk/selectedpub.htm
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 2015-
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 2014-
- Associate Editor, Information Sciences, 2014-
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 2013-
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics – Part B:Cybernetics, 2012
- Associate Editor, Neurocomputing (Elsevier), 2010-
- Associate Editor, EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, 2009-
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Image and Graphics, 2009-
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on “Visual Saliency Computing and Learning”, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, 2014.
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on “Discriminative Feature Learning from Big Data for Visual Recognition”, Pattern Recognition, 2014.
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on “Image Restoration and Enhancement: Recent Advances and Applications”, Signal Processing, 2014.
- Lead Guest Editor, Special Issue on “Computer Vision for RGB-D Sensors: Kinect and Its Applications”, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, 2013.
- Lead Guest Editor, Special Issue on “Intelligent Multimedia Interactivity”, Pattern Recognition Letters, 2012.
Program Committee Member (selected):
CVPR 2016, ICCV 2015, CVPR 2015, CVPR 2014, ECCV 2014, ACM MM 2014, CIKM 2014, ICCV 2013, CVPR 2013, MICCAI 2013, AVSS 2013, FG 2013, BMVC 2013, ACM MM 2012, ECCV 2012, CVPR 2012, BMVC 2011-2012, ICIP 2009-2012, ICME 2010-2013, ICASSP 2009-2013, ICMR 2011, ACM MM 2010, CIVR 2008-2010.
Research Themes and Scholarly Interests
- Computer Vision
- Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition
- Image / Video Processing
- Data Mining
- Biomedical Image Analysis
PhD, MSc, BEng