Skip navigation

What you need to know

This page will give you all the information that you need to explore your study abroad opportunities.

There are many factors to consider when deciding if Study Abroad is for you. Here you will find the answers to the most frequently asked questions we receive. There is also information on the competitions that you can enter whilst abroad to enhance your experience. If you have any further queries please contact us via social media or at

Types of Study Abroad Opportunities

Erasmus +

The Erasmus + exchange programme offers excellent opportunities among EU member states. We have a range of partners across the EU and, in partnership with the British Council, are able to offer a wide range of financial assistance to our students studying in Europe. The majority of our Erasmus partners teach in English (please note that it is mandatory for students on language and International Business with Language programmes to be taught in the local language) however there will be the opportunity to learn a second language should you wish.

Bilateral Exchange

A bilateral exchange refers to studying abroad at one of our partner institutions with whom Northumbria exchange a specified number of students. For example, if two students from RMIT Melbourne come to study at Northumbria for a semester then two students from Northumbria will be able to study at RMIT Melbourne for a semester. As part of an exchange agreement you will pay your fees to Northumbria. There are several scholarships available to students studying abroad outside the EU.

Easter/Summer Opportunities

Easter and summer opportunities across the world are available for all students. These usually take place at a Partner Institution and last around two weeks. There is a fee for most of these programs.

How much will it cost?

Whilst the fees for exchange programmes (including Erasmus+) will be covered by the fees you pay to Northumbria University, you should still consider the additional living costs that you will incur.

Please be aware that all students applying for a US or Australian visa will need proof of the equivalent of between $6,000USD - $9,000USD or $9,305AUD per semester to cover your living expenses prior to your departure from the UK.  This can consist of a certified bank statement from your account or your parents, or a stamped & signed memo from your bank confirming the amount currently in your or your parents’ account showing the necessary amount. 

Additional Costs

Other costs that will need to be considered are:

  • Travel to and from the country, and any other travelling you may wish to do whilst there
  • Passport or Passport renewal
  • Student Visa or Authorisation - varies depending on the country but will cost approx. £200-£250
  • International Student Identity Card – approx. £12
  • Medical Insurance - the university you chose may recommend a specific health plan, but expect to pay roughly £250 - £600 depending on the length of time you are abroad and the country you are studying in.
  • Personal/Property Insurance
  • Academic Materials (books etc.) – approx. £100

Funding Opportunities

The Study Abroad programme is self-funded - however there are a few different streams of funding that you can apply for;

  • Student Loan – students will receive the student loan as normal. Usually the maintenance loan can increase by up to 50% during the time spent studying overseas. This is calculated on household income.
  • Erasmus Grant - currently available for students studying in the EU for 2018/19. If students study at a partner university within the EU then you will be eligible for the Erasmus Grant. This is grant is not based on household income and does not need to be paid back. The grant has different levels of payment depending on where in the EU students study. The grant is paid in two instalments 80% at the beginning of the study and 20% at the end. This grant should not be relied on however and should be seen as an additional funding stream. Further information will be released after 29th March.
  • Erasmus Grant (Widening Participation) – this is part of the Erasmus funding which students can apply for. This is based on household income.
  • Santander Ambassador Grant – available for students studying at a partner university in Latin America. The grant (currently for 18/19) is £1000 for the time that spent studying at the partner university (one or two semesters). Students will apply for this grant after the study abroad offer has been accepted. Students will be expected to represent Northumbria and the mobility team will give students specific tasks to complete during their time at the partner university.
  • Northumbria University Ambassador Scholarship – available for students who will be studying at a university outside of the EU. The scholarship (currently for 18/19) is £500 for one semester. Students will apply for this grant after the study abroad offer has been accepted. Students will be expected to represent Northumbria and the mobility team will give students specific tasks to complete during their time at the partner university.
  • BUTEX Scholarship 2019 – available for students studying outside of the EU for either one semester or a full academic year. The scholarship is £500. Students must apply on the external BUTEX website and it is not facilitated by Northumbria University. Further information can be found here.

Do I need to speak another language?

The majority of our Erasmus partners teach in English however there will be the opportunity to learn a second language should you wish.

For students studying in locations where the local language is French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Czech, Danish, Greek, Portuguese or Swedish we can offer (depending on availability) an Online Linguistic Language Support package to help with your day-to-day language requirements.


Private Accommodation

Different universities will provide different levels of assistance when it comes to private housing.  Some may provide you with a list of local hostels, others may give general advice on the local housing market, while others may be able to provide more practical help in house hunting.  You may also be able to find information on the accommodation pages of the university’s website and on general international student pages.

If you choose to rent private accommodation we advise that you familiarise yourself with the landlord and tenant legislation and obligations in the country as it can be very different from UK law. You may also wish to book yourself into a hostel for a week prior to your start date and use this time to ‘house hunt’ in person.

University Accommodation

Individual university websites will list information on the cost of living in that particular country.  Most will include fees for accommodation in halls of residence, meal plans and/or ad hoc board arrangements. Staying in university accommodation will likely be easier to arrange, will be organised and ready for your arrival and you will meet more students during your time abroad.

What about my Newcastle Accommodation?

Do not sign up for a year-long private tenancy agreement in the UK unless you can afford to pay accommodation both here and on the exchange. Whilst re-letting is possible, Northumbria University cannot guarantee that you will be able to re-let for the time you are away.  If you have any concerns that you wish to discuss please contact the Accommodation Office at Northumbria.

Latest News and Features

More news

Back to top