Welcome to the Graduate School web pages.
Visit Northumbria's PGR Supervision, Progression and Development pages for information regarding PGR processes within the online Student Record System (e-Vision).
The Graduate School, based within Academic Registry, has oversight of postgraduate research degrees, and in collaboration with Faculties and other Service Departments, supports postgraduate research students. At Northumbria University we aim to offer all postgraduate research degree students the maximum opportunity to succeed in their chosen research topic. This is supported by a dedicated team of academic and professional support staff based in each Faculty and Department as well as University Service Departments. At Northumbria we offer each postgraduate research degree student:
- A dedicated and experienced supervision team consisting of a Principal supervisor and a second supervisor, who will ensure that you receive optimum guidance and support throughout your research degree programme.
- A lively, focused research environment with a mix of PhD and professional doctorate students.
- A research community of high quality which is recognised internationally for its excellence.
- A dedicated and lively team of postgraduate research student representatives, led by the Student Union, who offer direct input into the University’s research committees, mutual peer support as well as organisation of social activities for postgraduate research students.
- An institution that positively encourages entrepreneurship for postgraduate research students.
- A sector-leading on-line postgraduate research student system (via e-Vision) that provides user friendly guidance and support throughout the student journey.
- Dedicated Department-based resources and facilities of the highest standard to support each doctoral student including access to a desk and networked PC.
- Competitively awarded bursaries for doctoral students to attend conferences.
- Faculty support via a dedicated team of high academic standing staff including an Associate Dean (Research and Innovation) and a Postgraduate Research Director, as well as professional support from dedicated postgraduate co-ordinators / administrators.
- Dedicated Departmental support from a Postgraduate Research (PGR) Lead (academic) and Research Lead (Academic).
- A postgraduate research student-led mentoring (Peer Assisted Research Support, PeARS) scheme available across all Departments.
- Induction sessions both at Faculty and University level to ensure that each doctoral student is supported in those early days of the research degree programme, supported by the Research Support Team within Research and Business Services.
- An opportunity to contribute to the delivery of a high quality teaching experience for students on taught programme. From 2016/17, this will be via the Higher Education Academy’s Northumbria University Professional Standards Framework. Appointed postgraduate research students will be supported with appropriate training, an appointed mentor and active participation in the peer support scheme in development and delivery of teaching and teaching-related activities. At the end postgraduate research students may apply for associate fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
- A dedicated University-wide Graduate School based within Academic Registry, focused on delivering an excellent student experience. The Graduate Schools’ Professional Support Team ensures that all aspects of the student journey are supported from enrolment to award.
- The Research Support Team in Research and Business Services includes a comprehensive professional development and research training programme.
- A comprehensive library collection including over 40,000 e-journals and a million print and e-books. Professional support for research skills and scholarly publications including Open Access and a dedicated library research zone at each campus.
- A University Careers and Employment Service offering specialist careers information resources, one-to-one student focussed careers advice and guidance, workshops, employer events and vacancies.
- Access to a wide range of specialist 1:1 Student Support and Wellbeing services throughout the duration of your research degree programme. These include disability and dyslexia support, counselling and mental health support, welfare support, student finance advice, visa/immigration support (for international students), advice if you are needing time out or are considering leaving your programme early, and chaplaincy and faith advice.