Skip navigation

Government Loan for Masters Study

Government Loan to Fund Your Masters

This information is for UK and EU students who wish to apply for a full Master course via full-time, part-time or distance learning study. Carefully check eligibility as terms and conditions apply.

The UK Government provides a Masters Loan to help fund your course fees and living costs, and the amount you may be able to apply for will depend on when you started your full Masters course.

You have to repay your Postgraduate Master’s Loan at the same time as any other student loans you have. You’ll be charged interest from the day you get the first payment. Your loan is paid directly into your UK bank account.

The following information has been provided by the Government website, which provides step-by-step information about the loan and the application process. You can find all the information here.

Personal Eligibility

You won’t be able to get a Postgraduate Master’s Loan if:

  • You're over the age of 60 on the first day of the first academic year of your course. 
  • You’re already getting payments from student finance for another course that you’re studying.
  • You received a Master’s Loan before - (unless you left your course due to illness, bereavement or another serious personal reason).
  • You already have a master’s degree, or a qualification that’s equivalent or higher.
  • You’re behind in repayments for any previous loans from the Student Loans Company.

Your Nationality or Residency Status

  • You can get the Postgraduate Master’s Loan if all of the following apply:
  • You’re a UK or EU national, or have ‘settled status’, so there are no restrictions on how long you can stay.
  • You normally live in England, and didn’t move there just to study.
  • You’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course.

You may also be eligible if you’re an EU national and all the following apply:

  • You’re living in England on the first day of the first year of your course.
  • You’ve normally lived in the European Economic Area or Switzerland for the past 3 years (this is also known as being ‘ordinarily resident’).
  • You’ll be studying at a university or college in England.

You could also be eligible if you’re:

  • The child of a Swiss national.
  • The child of a Turkish worker.
  • A refugee or a relative of one.
  • An EEA or Swiss migrant worker, or a relative of one.
  • Under humanitarian protection or a relative of someone who has been granted it.
  • 18 or over and have lived in the UK for at least 20 years or at least half your life.


Course Eligibility

It must:

  • Be a full, standalone master’s course (not a top-up course, postgraduate diploma or postgraduate certificate).
  • Be worth 180 credits.
  • Your course must be provided by a university or college in the UK (including the Open University), who is either publicly funded or a designated private provider.

It can be:

  • Full-time, lasting 1 or 2 academic years.
  • Part-time, lasting 2 to 4 academic years - no more than twice the length of the equivalent full-time course.
  • Part-time for up to 3 years, where no equivalent full-time course exists.

Examples of postgraduate master’s qualifications include: MSc, MA, MPhil, MRes, LLM, MLitt, MFA, MEd, MBA.

Distance Learning

To qualify for a Postgraduate Master’s Loan for distance learning, you’ll need to be living in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course. You’ll also need to live in:

  • England for the whole of your course - if you’re an EU national.
  • The UK for the whole of your course - if you’re not an EU national.

This usually doesn’t apply if you’re:

  • Serving in the armed forces.
  • A spouse or civil partner of a serving member of the armed forces.
  • A dependant parent living with a serving member of the armed forces.

Integrated Courses

You won’t be eligible for a Postgraduate Master’s Loan if your course is:

  • Integrated with an undergraduate degree - apply for undergraduate funding instead.
  • Integrated with a doctoral degree - apply for a Postgraduate Doctoral Loan instead.

Master of Architecture

If you plan to study for a master of architecture (MArch) qualification full-time, apply for undergraduate support.

The Postgraduate Master’s Loan will only be available for an MArch if either:

  • You’re taking a part-time course.
  • You’re not eligible for undergraduate funding for another reason.

Health & Social Work Bursaries

You can’t get a Postgraduate Master’s Loan if you:

  • Are eligible for an NHS bursary
  • Get a Social Work Bursary - unless you only get a Placement Travel Allowance. This also applies for health and social work bursaries in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Latest News and Features

More news
More events

Upcoming events

Accenture Digital Walls
Cundall Newcastle Open Evening
PwC Networking Evening

Back to top