Skip navigation

Cobham-Ultra UK Scholarships for Undergraduate Applicants 2023/24

This information is for Undergraduate UK/Home students applying to study at Northumbria University in September 2023.

Cobham Group Limited is a group of aerospace, defence, and technology businesses, which employs 10,000 people, has extensive contracts with the British military and is seen as a world leader in air-to-air refuelling technology.  The firm, based in Dorset, also makes electronic warfare systems and communications for military vehicles.

Since 2020, Cobham has further developed its Corporate Social Responsibility programme, with the aim of replenishing the STEM talent pipeline in the UK to ensure that graduates see Cobham as an employer of choice. Cobham are keen to ensure that higher education is accessible to all talented students and a passionate supporter of Northumbria’s “Higher Education without Barriers” fundraising campaign.  

This prestigious scholarship will award two Engineering students studying on one of the below programmes, a £3,500 cash scholarship during the first year of study only.  The money can be used to enhance the overall university learning experience.

If you are ready to start your university journey with Northumbria, create your best future and meet the criteria below, apply for your course now and you will automatically be considered for a Cobham-Ultra Scholarship.

Terms and Conditions

To be eligible for a Cobham-Ultra Scholarship you must:

  • Be a UK/Home applicant (Home includes UK students and those eligible to pay home fees)
  • Have a household income of under £40,000
  • Apply and enrol to study on one of the above Full-Time eligible programmes at the Newcastle Upon Tyne campus, starting in September 2023
  • Choose Northumbria as your firm choice by 08 June 2023
  • Meet all individual entry requirements
  • Be a self-funded student (i.e. not sponsored by an employer)
  • Apply for one or more elements of the Government Student Finance package (for example, Tuition Fee loan, Maintenance loan) in order for your application to be means-tested
  • Register with Student Finance England (SFE), Student Finance Wales (SFW), Student Finance Northern Ireland (SFNI) or Student Award Agency for Scotland (SAAS).
  • Agree to share consent via your Student Finance Provider with Northumbria University

Important Information

  • Students selected for a Cobham-Ultra Scholarship will not be eligible for any other Undergraduate scholarships
  • The Cobham-Ultra Scholarship is awarded as cash
  • Payments will be made as 25% of total in November 2023, 25% of total in February 2024 and 50% of total in May 2024
  • Funding is provided in the first year of study only
  • If you are undertaking a Foundation Year you are not eligible for a Cobham-Ultra Scholarship
  • If you are progressing from a Foundation Year studied at Northumbria or another institution, you are eligible for the Cobham-Ultra Scholarship
  • If you defer your place at Northumbria University before the scholarship has been paid, the scholarship offer will be withdrawn
  • If you decide to leave your course after the scholarship payment has been made, the University will not make efforts to reclaim the amount
  • If you are required to resit your first year, the scholarship will not be paid again
  • The University's decision is final and cannot be challenged; there is no right of appeal


Selection Process

  • Eligible students will be notified by Friday 08 September 2023 (subject to change)
  • If more than two students are eligible the successful students will be chosen on the strength of their UCAS personal statement
  • Successful students will be notified by Friday 29 September 2023 (subject to change)

Last updated: 22/05/2023

a sign in front of a crowd

Northumbria Open Days

Open Days are a great way for you to get a feel of the University, the city of Newcastle upon Tyne and the course(s) you are interested in.

a person sitting at a table using a laptop
NU World Virtual Tours

Virtual Tour

Get an insight into life at Northumbria at the click of a button! Come and explore our videos and 360 panoramas to immerse yourself in our campuses and get a feel for what it is like studying here using our interactive virtual tour.

Latest News and Features

Crime scene
Sustainable condenser tumble dryers
View of the countryside from Richmond, London. People on green grass field near lake during daytime
The Crypt at Newcastle Cathedral
Event aims to connect academic knowledge and policy makers
Final year Music Degree students Allan Colver, Jeremy Teasdale and Caitlin Hedley, pictured standing next to a grand piano
BA (Hons) Fine Art student, Sophie Bass preparing for REVEAL.
More events

Upcoming events

Grow Your Own – How To Attract, Develop and Retain a Talented Team.
The Building Safety Act and its Implications

Back to top