Skip navigation

The Edwina Grosvenor Social Sciences Scholarships for September 2024

The Edwina Grosvenor Scholarships for September 2024

At Northumbria, we are passionate about bringing together our inspirational courses, forward-thinking staff and innovative students to tackle the challenges of tomorrow.  Northumbria champions students who are curious, hardworking and academically gifted.  

Northumbria is pleased to continue The Edwina Grosvenor Scholarships in Social Science* which aim to ensure that all talented Social Science students, irrespective of background, have the opportunity to follow in Edwina's footsteps at Northumbria.  The scholarship will award nine students £2,000 in the first year of study only.  The money can be used to enhance the overall University learning experience.

If you are ready to start your university journey with Northumbria, create your best future and meet the criteria below, apply for your course now and you will automatically be considered for an Edwina Grosvenor Scholarship.

Terms and Conditions

To be eligible for an Edwina Grosvenor Scholarship you must:

  • Be a UK/Home applicant 
  • Achieve at least 144 points (or equivalent) from your best three qualifications, for example AAA at A Level or DDD at BTEC
  • Have a household income of under £40,000
  • Apply and enrol to study on a Full-Time Undergraduate Social Science course* at the Newcastle Upon Tyne campus, starting in September 2024
  • Choose Northumbria as your firm choice by Date TBC
  • Meet all individual entry requirements
  • Be a self-funded student (ie. not in receipt of sponsorship or other funding for the payment of fees, such as employer funding)
  • Apply for one or more elements of the Government Student Finance package (for example, Tuition Fee loan, Maintenance loan) in order for your application to be means-tested
  • Register with Student Finance England (SFE)
  • Agree to share consent via your Government Finance Provider with Northumbria University

Eligible courses*

 Important Information

  • The students selected for an Edwina Grosvenor Scholarship will not be eligible for any other Undergraduate scholarship schemes
  • The Edwina Grosvenor Scholarship is awarded as cash
  • Payments will be made as 25% of total in November 2024, 25% of total in February 2025 and 50% of total in May 2025
  • Funding is provided in the first year of study only
  • The successful students will be required to send a thank you letter to the donor
  • A progress update for the donor will be requested at the end of the first year of study
  • If you do not provide a thank you letter and a progress update to the donor, the scholarship will be withdrawn
  • If you defer your place at Northumbria University before the scholarship has been paid, the scholarship offer will be withdrawn
  • If you decide to leave your course after the scholarship payment has been made, the University will not make efforts to reclaim the amount
  • If you are required to resit your first year, the scholarship will not be paid again
  • The University's decision is final and cannot be challenged; there is no right of appeal

Selection Process

  • Students who are eligible for the Edwina Grosvenor Scholarship will be identified by Northumbria University post-enrolment, there is no separate application form
  • If more than nine students are eligible based on their point score, if applicable, we will look at the 20 best overall UCAS point scores from best three and following this, the successful students will be chosen on the strength of their UCAS personal statement
  • The successful students will be notified by the end of October 2024

Last updated: 02/03/2023

a sign in front of a crowd

Northumbria Open Days

Open Days are a great way for you to get a feel of the University, the city of Newcastle upon Tyne and the course(s) you are interested in.

a person sitting at a table using a laptop
NU World Virtual Tours

Virtual Tour

Get an insight into life at Northumbria at the click of a button! Come and explore our videos and 360 panoramas to immerse yourself in our campuses and get a feel for what it is like studying here using our interactive virtual tour.

Latest News and Features

Northumbria University launches series of events to help businesses retain top talent
A plaque dedicated to Mary Astell situated outside Newcastle Cathedral
Prof Katie Jenkins
Port of Blyth
Connecting lines - stock image
Bereaved, then abandoned. Call for better support for military widows.
Professor Raymond Arthur
Senior research assistant Luís Carvalho pictured wearing the Cue Band device on his wrist and holding a mobile phone with the Cue Band app open on the screen
More events

Upcoming events

Rewriting The Rules - Unlocking People Potential
Roma Agrawal Lecture - 30 March 23

Back to top