Skip navigation

The Think Strong Creative Writing Scholarship September 2020

The Think Strong Creative Writing Scholarship for September 2020

The Think Strong Scholarship has been established to support a talented student through their Northumbria University journey.  This scholarship is made possible by the support of an international alumnus, Chris K. Jones, who came to Northumbria from America as part of an exchange programme in the late 1980s. Chris has a passion for creative writing, and he valued his time at Northumbria so much that he now wishes to give something back and inspire others to follow their dreams as well.

The Think Strong Creative Writing Scholarship will award one undergraduate student studying BA English Literature and Creative Writing full-time from September 2020 with £2,000 cash per year. The money can be used to enhance the overall university learning experience.

At Northumbria, we are passionate about bringing together our inspirational courses, forward-thinking staff and innovative students to tackle the challenges of tomorrow. If you are ready to start your university journey with Northumbria, create your best future, and meet the criteria below, then apply for your course now to be automatically considered for the Think Strong Creative Writing Scholarship.

Terms and conditions

To be eligible for the Think Strong Creative Writing Scholarship you must:

  • be a UK/EU applicant 
  • have a household income of under £16,000
  • have applied for, and be offered a place on, BA Creative Writing, to start full-time at the Newcastle upon Tyne campus in September 2020
  • choose Northumbria as your firm choice by 04 June 2020 (TBC)
  • meet all individual course entry requirements
  • be a self-funded student (i.e. not in receipt of sponsorship or other funding for the payment of fees, such as employer funding)
  • apply for one or more elements of the Government Student Finance package (for example, tuition fee loan, maintenance loan) in order for your application to be means-tested
  • register with Student Finance England (SFE), Student Finance Wales (SFW) or Student Finance Northern Ireland (SFNI)
  • as a Scottish student, register with Student Award Agency for Scotland (SAAS) and apply to be means-tested for maintenance funding, in order that SASS can send your data to Student Finance England
  • agree to share consent via your Government Finance Provider with Northumbria University

Eligible courses

  • BA Creative Writing

Important information

  • Students selected for the Think Strong Creative Writing Scholarship will not be eligible for any other undergraduate scholarship schemes
  • The Think Strong Creative Writing Scholarship is awarded as cash
  • Payments will be made as 25% of total in November 2020, 25% of total in February 2021 and 50% of total in May 2021, and in the same months on subsequent years (TBC)
  • Funding is provided on an annual basis, based on the successful student progressing to the next year of study (if applicable)
  • Funding is not provided in the placement year, should the successful student wish to undertake a placement
  • The successful student will be required to send a thank you letter to the donor
  • The successful student will be expected to provide yearly progress updates with the donor as appropriate
  • If the successful student defers their place at Northumbria University before the scholarship has been paid, the scholarship offer will be withdrawn
  • If the successful student decides to leave the course after the scholarship payment has been made; the University will not make efforts to reclaim the amount, however any subsequent payments will be cancelled and the scholarship offer will be withdrawn
  • The University's decision is final and cannot be challenged; there is no right of appeal

Selection Process

  • Students who are eligible for the Think Strong Creative Writing Scholarship will be identified by Northumbria University post-enrollment, there is no separate application form
  • The successful Think Strong Creative Writing Scholarship student will be chosen from eligible students at random, and the successful student will be notified by the end of October 2020



a sign in front of a crowd

Northumbria Open Days

Open Days are a great way for you to get a feel of the University, the city of Newcastle upon Tyne and the course(s) you are interested in.

a person sitting at a table using a laptop
a bridge over a body of water

Virtual Tour

Get an insight into life at Northumbria at the click of a button! Come and explore our videos and 360 panoramas to immerse yourself in our campuses and get a feel for what it is like studying here using our interactive virtual tour.

Latest News and Features

Back to top