Skip navigation

Extending your Student Visa

How can I extend my student visa?

If you are eligible to extend your student visa in the UK you can find guidance on the Student Portal. If you have any queries about extending your student visa please contact the Welfare, Funding and Immigration Team through the Student Portal.

You will require a new Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) to extend your visa. Find out how to request a CAS, and the CAS issuance conditions below.

For further information around extending your Student Route visa please visit our knowledge based article 

Applicants starting a new course will receive their CAS directly from the Application Services Team. Students who require a CAS to continue on their course must request a CAS here. You must submit your CAS request more than 4 weeks before your application is required, or if you are requesting a CAS towards the end of your course at least 8 weeks. Applications submitted outside of these deadlines will be processed where possible but a CAS would not be guaranteed. 

Applicants applying for leave within the UK are required to apply via the Welfare, Immigration and Funding Team to whom the CAS will be issued. Applicants and continuing students are required to submit any requested documents before the University will issue a CAS.

The University is under no obligation to assign a CAS and a CAS may be declined in the following circumstances:

  • Where academic progress requirements, as set out by UKVI, are not met. This includes students who require additional time to complete their course having not previously undertaken an assessment (some deferrals/referrals and deadline extensions, although doctoral students are likely to be exempt). Such students are required to submit evidence that they have left the UK before a CAS will be issued for an entry clearance application.
  • To extend leave for any purpose where the student’s continued participation (attendance) is not required. The sponsored student will be expected to make arrangements to return to their home country and, where requested, will be given advice regarding making arrangements to return to the UK if appropriate
  • Where the student has been permanently financially excluded for non-payment of tuition fees.
  • Where a student has, or needs to, resit examinations or repeat study more than twice any CAS issued to students who exceed this limit will be done so only in exceptional circumstances
  • Where the course end date has been extended but the student holds extant leave covering the new end date
  • Where a student has exceeded, or will exceed by the end of their course, the maximum amount of time permitted to study in the UK;
  • Where the student is required to have obtained ATAS clearance prior to application, but has failed to do so;
  • Where a student has official financial sponsorship (or has done so within the 12 months prior to the new visa application), the University will not issue a CAS until evidence is provided that the student continues to be sponsored or that the sponsor has given permission for the student to continue studying without sponsorship.
  • Where a student has previously made any application for leave that the University considers to be circumventing the immigration rules.
  • Where the student has lodged an FLR application
  • The University does not consider that an applicant/student will arrive in time for the course start date.
  • Where there are credibility concerns
  • The University does not believe that the student intends and is able to follow the course of study.
  • If the student has failed to submit any documents requested by the University
  • Financial Credibility when present in UK for 12 months. Regardless of the UKVI waiving the maintenance requirement the University must consider any risk in not undertaking an assessment. The University is responsible for any risks should the student fail to be able to maintain themselves and thus not complete their studies. Therefore checks will still be done. Any CAS as issued is done under our Licence and therefore Nu compliance and welfare processes come into play for the visa appointments to go ahead.
  • Students returning from a break in study will be asked to evidence proof of satisfying the maintenance requirement, via the Welfare, Immigration and Funding Team ahead of CAS issuance
  • If the applicant/student has submitted documents which are proven or suspected to be fraudulent
  • If the University believes that sponsoring a student will put its sponsor licence at risk
  • If the University has concerns about the student’s genuine intention to study
  • If there is any reason to believe that a student will not comply with the conditions of their leave
  • The University has concerns about the student’s ability to pay, e.g. where a sponsored student has outstanding tuition and accommodation fee debts with the University
  • If it has any other reason to believe that assigning a CAS is not appropriate
  • The University reserves the right not to assign a CAS to any applicant/student who has overstayed in the UK. Applicants/Students who have overstayed by less than 14 days may be assigned a CAS, but only where there are exceptional and compelling circumstances that were beyond their control.

The assignment of a CAS does not guarantee success in securing a Student Route visa, although the University will assist students to make a successful application. The University is not responsible for any decisions made by the Home Office and does not accept liability for any sponsored student failing to obtain a visa and/or consequences, loss (whether financial or otherwise) of such failure; nor is the University liable for the consequences of refusing to assign a CAS. A CAS will be assigned to eligible students and made available to them at a visa appointment with an Immigration Adviser. A CAS will only be given directly to the student in exceptional circumstances. 

The University may make any additional checks it deems necessary to ensure that it only sponsors genuine students who will successfully obtain a visa.Such checks may include but are not limited to, UKVI eligibility check, reviewing bank statements/financial documents, requesting copies of previous visas, and requesting details of any CAS assigned by previous institutions.




a sign in front of a crowd

Northumbria Open Days

Open Days are a great way for you to get a feel of the University, the city of Newcastle upon Tyne and the course(s) you are interested in.

a person sitting at a table using a laptop
NU World Virtual Tours

Virtual Tour

Get an insight into life at Northumbria at the click of a button! Come and explore our videos and 360 panoramas to immerse yourself in our campuses and get a feel for what it is like studying here using our interactive virtual tour.

Latest News and Features

Crime scene
Sustainable condenser tumble dryers
View of the countryside from Richmond, London. People on green grass field near lake during daytime
The Crypt at Newcastle Cathedral
Event aims to connect academic knowledge and policy makers
Final year Music Degree students Allan Colver, Jeremy Teasdale and Caitlin Hedley, pictured standing next to a grand piano
BA (Hons) Fine Art student, Sophie Bass preparing for REVEAL.
More events

Upcoming events

Grow Your Own – How To Attract, Develop and Retain a Talented Team.
The Building Safety Act and its Implications

Back to top