Skip navigation

Immigration Overview

If you require immigration permission to study in the UK you will need to apply for the appropriate leave before starting your course at Northumbria University.  

The categories which may be appropriate for study in the UK are: 

  • The Student Route for students who are 16 or older (please note that Tier 4 General closed to new applicants on the 5th October 2020, new students who wish to study in the UK for over 6 months must apply for the Student Route).  
  • The short-term study route for students who want to study English Language courses between 6 – 11 months 
  • The visitor route for students wishing to study a course of 6 months of less 

Nationals of EEA or Switzerland 

The United Kingdom (UK) left the European Union (EU) on 31st January 2020. EEA or Swiss nationals who do not have Settled or pre-Settled status, or another status which permits study in the UK, may need to apply for a Student Route visa If they wish to study a course of over 6 months. Further details for Nationals of EEA or Switzerland can be found here.  

a sign in front of a crowd

Northumbria Open Days

Open Days are a great way for you to get a feel of the University, the city of Newcastle upon Tyne and the course(s) you are interested in.

a person sitting at a table using a laptop
NU World Virtual Tours

Virtual Tour

Get an insight into life at Northumbria at the click of a button! Come and explore our videos and 360 panoramas to immerse yourself in our campuses and get a feel for what it is like studying here using our interactive virtual tour.

Latest News and Features

International Travel and Tourism roadshow
Poetry collection shortlisted for prestigious international prize
Northumbria University launches series of events to help businesses retain top talent
Prof Katie Jenkins
A plaque dedicated to Mary Astell situated outside Newcastle Cathedral
More events

Upcoming events

Rewriting The Rules - Unlocking People Potential
Roma Agrawal Lecture - 30 March 23

Back to top