Skip navigation

SENCOs, Advisers and DSA Assessors

This page is specifically for SENCOs, DSA Assessors, Specialist Teachers and Careers/Connexions Advisers who work with, or support students, with disabilities in 6th forms and Further Education Colleges.  The following will provide the necessary information to advise your students who may be considering Higher Education.  However, if you have any further questions please contact the Disability and Dyslexia Support Team by emailing

The Role of the Disability and Dyslexia Support Team

We are a team of specialist staff available to provide information, advice, guidance and support to all disabled and dyslexic students. We are available at all stages of the student journey. We also advise academic and other University staff who are working with disabled and dyslexic students.

University Life

Coming to University can often seem daunting to students especially for those who have been used to attending small sixth forms, Further Education Colleges or residential specialist colleges. The size of the University campus, the number of students and becoming familiar with new study regimes can at first be overwhelming for those students who have been used to a much smaller environment and who may also have received a substantial amount of individual support.

We would advise that, wherever possible, prospective students attend University and Faculty Open Days to get a better understanding of how life and study at University differs from sixth form or Further Education College. A Disabilities Adviser will be available at University Open Days to talk to disabled and dyslexic prospective students and their families/advisers. Individual support needs can be discussed with the prospective student at this time if required.

Educational Statements/Section 139a

Unfortunately educational statements/section 139a documentation cannot be accepted by the University as suitable evidence of a disability or a specific learning difficulty.

It is University policy that a student will need to provide primary evidence of their disability as described above. This is also required for Disabled Students’ Allowances applications.


If a student requires specialist accommodation such as wheelchair access, close to campus, en-suite, medical storage, carer rooms etc, the student should apply for accommodation online following the University process, stating a preferred option and details of their disability related needs.

For further information on the accessible facilities within University accommodation, please see the Accessible Accommodation web page.

Support Worker Services and NMH Rates

Educational support such as note-taking in taught sessions, educational personal assistance, guiding and exam reading/scribing can be provided by the Support Worker Service. The Support Worker Service is provided by the University in partnership with Randstad HR Solutions and provides educational support for D/deaf, disabled and dyslexic students. Some UK students may be eligible to apply for Disabled Students' Allowance. Please note that should a disabled student require personal care, this cannot be provided by the University Support Worker Service. Provision of personal care is usually provided by Social Services (Direct Payments or Care Management funding).

Types of Support and Costs

Northumbria University provides specialist study skills (SpLD) tutorials via its ‘Dyslexia@Northumbria’ service at a cost of £55.50 per hour - see DSAQAG formal price list.  All other types of 1:1 support are supplied by other specialist providers.

General provision for disabled students

Northumbria University has a range of support available to disabled students which is not dependent on Disabled Students Allowance funding. See link for details.

Contact Us


Current students: Please submit an enquiry via the Help & Support section of your Student Portal




Tel: 0191227 4127

Back to top