Skip navigation

Part-time Undergraduate Students

Student Finance England Loans for Part-Time Undergraduate Study

It is assumed that part-time students enrolled with Northumbria University will be living in the region and so the following information is based on Student Finance England’s part-time funding.

An eligible part-time student (including EU students studying in England) can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan which will be paid directly to the University. The loan isn’t based on household income and there’s no upper age limit for applying. The maximum fee loan is limited to the lesser of your annual fee bill or the maximum fee loan of £6935. To qualify you must be studying a course intensity of at least 25% of the full-time equivalent per year; therefore it must take no more than four times the length of the equivalent full-time course to complete (up to a maximum of 16 years). Please note it is the designation of the course and not the teaching hours that dictate whether an applicant applies for funding under the respective full-time or part-time student funding system. See for further information on eligibility. 

If you are a part-time EU student, you can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan if you meet certain conditions, see:

If you already hold a qualification equal to, or higher than, the one you are studying for, you won’t normally be eligible for a Tuition Fees Loan though there can be exceptions to this rule. (In addition, please note the rules/exceptions on this vary for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.)

If your part-time course starts on or after 1 August 2018, you can also apply for a Maintenance Loan.  The Maintenance Loan is means-tested, so how much you get depends on your household income as well as where you live while studying. The amount of Maintenance Loan part-time students receive is also dependent on course intensity, which much be at least 25%. It is assumed that part-time students will also use earnings from employment towards funding living costs. For more information on the financial support available for part-time students, please see the Student Finance England webpages at:

If you are a Distance Learning student, you can only apply for a Maintenance Loan if you cannot attend your course in person because of a disability. Part-time EU students are not eligible to apply for a Maintenance Loan.   

Support from other UK Regions (Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)

UK Regional student funding providers will also fund part-time study, though the funding packages available differ from that outlined above.  Please contact the regional funding provider directly for more information.  Please Note: Students resident in Northern Ireland studying a flexible PGCE have previously been assessed for Student Finance Northern Ireland’s full-time funding package. Prospective students applying for funding for a course of this type should contact their regional funding provider directly.

Loans for Part-Time Postgraduate Study

A UK Government loan for taught postgraduate programmes, eg Masters level courses is available.  The Government Postgraduate Loan is available to eligible postgraduate Masters students studying towards their first such qualification on either a part-time or full-time basis. For part-time students, the course can last between two and four years.  It must be no more than twice the length of the equivalent full-time course.  For students beginning their courses in academic year 2019-20, the maximum Postgraduate Masters Loan available is £10,906. This loan is not means-tested. Full details are available at:

Prospective postgraduate students who are ordinarily resident in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland should contact their regional funding provider directly.

From August 2018, the UK Government's Postgraduate Doctoral Loan is available to eligible students to help with fees and living costs. Students can be on either a full-time or part-time basis.  Full details are available at:

Financial Hardship

If you are in financial hardship, the University has an Access to Learning Funding providing non-repayable grants to eligible home/UK students.  For more information, visit Hardship Funding.

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

Some part-time students may be entitled to DSA.  The DSA can help to pay for extra costs you may incur in attending your programme as a direct result of your disability or medical condition. The allowances can help with the cost of a non-medical personal helper, major items of specialist equipment, travel and other costs.  DSA is a non-repayable form of support and your award is not based on your household income, see:

For further information on DSA and relevant eligibility criteria, you should contact the Disability and Dyslexia Support Team on 0191 227 4127.

Further Information

The links below may be useful for both new and continuing part-time UK students.

Latest News and Features

More news

Back to top