Skip navigation

Extending student visa in the UK

Tier 4 General Student Visas

As a Tier 4 student, it is your responsibility to ensure that you are aware of the immigration guidelines that are relevant to you and that you keep up to date with changes to legislation or rules during your stay in the UK in order to protect your immigration status.  By enrolling at Northumbria University you agree to meet these responsibilities, (if you do not this may affect your stay in the UK).

The University has various reporting and record-keeping duties as your Sponsor. Please refer to our Tier 4 Visa Responsibilities and Sponsorship Duties Leaflet for further information.

Applying for your Tier 4 Visa through the University

International students who need to extend their time in the UK to complete their studies must submit an application to the Home Office before their current visa expires. Overstaying for any period will jeopardise future immigration applications.

If your visa expires more than 28 days before your new course starts, you must return to your home country to apply for a new visa.

Student Life and Wellbeing are able to assist students who need to renew their visa in a number of ways, including an application and document-checking service.  All students going from one course to another at Northumbria are required to have a document check before a CAS will be issued. 

Students wishing to extend their visa must:

  • Create an online account and complete their application form online (please do not attempt to submit your application at this stage). To create an online application click here.
  • Attend a compulsory visa workshop for advice on the visa renewal process, Immigration Rules and required documents.  We will also offer assistance with completing your form.  If you still have any queries after attending the workshop you can see an adviser for further help at Student Central or log an enquiry via the Student Portal.  To book onto a visa workshop click here.
  • Possibly attend a credibility interview if required.
  • Book and attend an appointment with a Welfare, Funding and Immigration Adviser.  We will check your application and documents and add the CAS details required to your online application form. When the application is checked and complete, we will submit it online to the Home Office. If there are any changes you need to make to your application, we will inform you of what you need to do so your application can be sent.  
  • After you have submitted your application online, you will be required to attend an appointment to enrol your biometrics and verify your travel document.  This appointment will likely take place when you attend either a UKVCAS service centre or at an enhanced service centre.

To book an appointment with a Welfare, Immigration and Funding Adviser, if you are not yet enrolled at Northumbria University, please email:  If you are already enrolled at Northumbria University, please log an enquiry via the Student Portal or call 0191 227 4127.                                                       

Please refer to the following for further information:

Advantages of applying for your Tier 4 Visa through the University include:

  • You will have your form and documents checked so you can feel more confident your application may be successful.
  • Advice on what you need to add to your application if it is incomplete.
  • Advisers may be able to contact the Home Office on your behalf about your application when appropriate (an Adviser will be able to inform you whether it is possible to contact the Home Office regarding certain issues with your application).
  • If successful, your visa will be sent securely to the University for your collection.
  • We can also check any errors in the length of leave given on your visa (current or new) and help to resolve these. 

More Information

Please see below for more information, including visas for family and/or friends.

Frequently Asked Questions

    Q. Where can I get further information about applying for a student visa?     
    For more information on student visas, how you can apply, what documents you need to provide and much more, please follow the links below:     
UKCISA - Making a Tier 4 Application
UKVI - Applying for a Tier 4 visa from inside the UK

    Q.  How do I apply for a visa for my dependant(s)?     

    If you have dependants in the UK applying to extend their visa at the same time, you will be required to enter their information onto your online form. You can only bring your dependant (spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner, children) in the following cases:
  • Government sponsored student studying for more than six months
  • Students studying at postgraduate level for a minimum of nine months
  • There are different rules if you are already in the UK as a dependant. You may find the following information useful:
  • UKCISA Dependant Visa 
  • Dependant Guidance
  • Family Members
  • Q.  Who is a dependant? See here for further information. Q.  What happens if my friends or family wish to visit me in the UK? See Inviting friends and family to the UK for more information.  Q. Will my spouse and children be able to work if they come as my dependants? The conditions that apply to your spouse and children’s stay in the UK will be shown on their visa or biometrics card (BRP).  It should be for the same amount of time as you. Dependants are normally allowed to work, but check their BRP card to make sure. Q. Will my dependants be able to study? If your spouse is here as your dependant she/he can study either full-time or part-time and distance learning. She/he will be subject to the same rules for fees assessment and student support as you. Children who are in the UK as the dependants of international students are allowed to study full-time or part-time. Those aged 16 and under can go to state schools without paying any fees. If your children are aged between 5 and 16 they can attend government schools in the UK. You will not have to pay for this. For more information, visit:

For more information please contact the Welfare, Immigration and Funding Team.

Latest News and Features

Back to top