Skip navigation

Travelling within Europe

Travelling within Europe - Schengen Visa Scheme

If you are an EU national, EEA national or eligible family member, please read information about Brexit and the EU Settlement Scheme.

Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, travel outside of the UK is currently subject to specific rules and restrictions which are updated on a regular basis as the global situation evolves.  You should be aware that entry requirements for both the UK and other countries are subject to change at short notice. Therefore, the guidance on this page should be read in conjunctions with the UK’s government’s current travel advice, available here.

If you are not an EEA national and are planning to travel to Europe, you will need to obtain a Schengen visa.  This visa, which is valid for three months, allows you to visit and travel between countries in the Schengen area using only one visa.

If you want to visit only one Schengen country, you need to apply to the Embassy or Consulate of that country. Click the link for details of foreign embassies in the UK.

If you want to visit more than one Schengen country, you need to to apply to the Embassy or Consulate of the country where you will spend the most time.

You will need the following documentation:

  • Passport / official travel document
  • Completed application form(s)
  • Passport-sized photograph(s)
  • Confirmation of enrolment letter found on your Student Portal
  • Proof or purpose of visit eg. official letter of invitation from conference; confirmed return airline ticket, or a confirmed hotel booking
  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover visit e.g. bank statements, travellers cheques or credit cards
  • Proof of travel insurance to cover medical costs.

You will need to pay a visa fee for your application. The fees charged vary by embassy.  You should check the amount and the payment methods accepted before you apply.  Please note that the fee is not usually refunded if the visa is refused.

Please be aware that most Schengen countries will require you to have a minimum period of time remaining on your UK visa.  Some countries require that you have as long as six months left on your current immigration permission.

For information about Schengen Visas and Travelling to Europe we recommend that you read the UKCISA information sheet UKCISA FAQS.

For further information see Travelling within Europe.


Please note:  Information on this page is current as of 24 August 2017

Back to top