Skip navigation

Working during and after study

Working during your studies

Various rules and regulations affect whether or not you can work during your studies. Please refer to UKCISA's website for further information:

Working in the UK during your studies

Please ensure that you check what your working restrictions are on your BRP card.  Students are not permitted to work in excess of 20 hours per week during term-time, with rare exception.  Please be aware that, should you exceed this and the UKVI become aware of it, there will be very serious consequences to your leave.  The UKVI are undertaking active checks on international students working in the UK.  If you breach your working conditions you will not be permitted to complete your studies and will face a minimum re-entry ban to the UK of 12 months. Please ensure that you do not breach the conditions of your leave as the consequences are non-reversible. 

If you think there may be an error in your working conditions or have any other queries on this matter, please contact an Adviser.

Working after your studies

If you wish to stay in the UK to work when you have finished your studies, unless you are an EEA or Swiss national you will need to apply for visa permission to do so.  There are different routes which you should check to see if you qualify and which is most appropriate for you.

For further information please refer to the links below:

Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)

Tier 2

Tier 4 (Doctorate Extension Scheme)

Tier 5


Further Information

The following links contain further information on immigration, visas and work permits.


Contact Us 

Tel:  +44 (0) 191 227 4127

Latest News and Features

Woon Prize winner announced

The 2019 winner of one of the UK’s most generous art prizes has been announced during a ceremony…

More news

Back to top