Skip navigation

GP Registration

It is very important for all students to be registered with a local doctor’s surgery, so that you can see a doctor – often called a "General Practitioner" or "GP" – when you need to.  Please register as soon as possible. Do not wait until you are unwell!

How to register:

STEP 1: Go to the NHS Choices website to choose a surgery which suits you.

Go to the section of the website called ‘Find local services’, click on the ‘GP’ tab, and enter your postcode or town. Ideally choose a surgery close to where you are living.

STEP 2: Visit the doctor's surgery, in person, to register.

It is often helpful to take two forms of identification (one which includes a photograph, such as your passport or driving license, and another which shows your term-time address, such as your accommodation tenancy agreement). You will be asked to complete a registration form at the surgery. If you have any questions about how to register, you can find contact details for each surgery on the NHS website. 

Important information about meningitis – for all students going to university for the first time

The National Health Service (NHS) offers all new students who are going to university for the first time a vaccination to prevent Meningitis W disease.  We advise all students to get this Meningitis W vaccination – either before you start university or as soon as possible after you start university. For more information, please click here.

International students

If you are a student from outside the EU you need to pay for Healthcare in the UK.  If you have not done this at the time of applying for your visa you will be charged 150% of the usual cost of the treatment you receive.  There is some treatment that is free for everyone and some exemptions. For more information, please click here.

EEA students

All non-UK European Economic Area (EEA) nationals on a course of study for six months or less should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before coming to the UK as this entitles the card holder to full NHS Treatment. Where your course of study is over six months, you will qualify for NHS treatment on the same basis as someone who is ordinarily resident in the UK.

Subject to whether the UK leaves the EU and the health care arrangements for EEA citizens in the UK being agreed as part of a withdrawal agreement, EEA nationals may be required to pay the UK IHS-Immigration Health Surcharge as part of their immigration entry to the UK.

Even if you're entitled to NHS treatment whilst in the UK, you should consider taking out insurance which covers other medical-related costs.  An insurance policy may cover for example:

  • Lost fees if you are unable to complete your course
  • Costs of returning home if a relative is ill
  • Costs of a relative visiting you in the UK if you fall ill
  • Cost of returning to your home country for treatment
  • Or in the worst possible situation, returning a body home for burial

There is often a long wait for NHS treatment, sometimes many months.  An insurance policy which gives you access to private medical care could give you much quicker access to the treatment you need.  If you already have medical insurance in your home country, check whether you can extend it to cover your stay in the UK, as well as looking at options available from UK insurers.



Latest News and Features

More news

Back to top