Skip navigation

Information and Support for International Colleagues

Message from the Vice-Chancellor:

We recognise and celebrate the valuable contribution that all our international colleagues bring, through their research, teaching and through the internationalisation of our University in general. Northumbria remains a global University, committed to working with our partners and building relationships and collaborations locally, nationally, and internationally.

We continue to encourage, and invest in attracting, a diverse mix of colleagues and students from across the globe, as well as support their development and help them to become part of the Northumbria community and contribute to its future. Our Vision and Corporate Strategy provide a strong basis for this work and for meeting the challenges and maximising the opportunities that lie ahead.

Support for Staff

Northumbria continues to welcome and support EU and international colleagues following the referendum outcome to leave the EU.

Any EU colleague who applies for permanent residence in the UK or British Citizenship will have the application fee refunded by the University.  To claim the refund colleagues should complete a Staff Expenses Claim form and submit this to their Faculty/Service.

The University also reimburses immigration costs that are essential in order for international colleagues to be employed by the University, including the postal visa application fee under the Skilled Worker and Global Talent route, NHS surcharge and Settlement/Indefinite Leave to Remain application fee for those employed on a Skilled Worker or Global Talent visa.  Please refer to the Immigration Fees Reimbursement Policy..

In addition, the University is also able to offer international colleagues an interest free short-term loan to help them with any other immigration application costs for themselves and dependents. Please refer to the Immigration Fees Short-Term Loan Scheme

EU Settlement Scheme

If you were already in the UK before 31 December 2020, and you have not already applied to the EU Settlement Scheme for pre-settled or settled status we would encourage you to apply.  The deadline for applications is 30 June 2021. This would be the easiest way to evidence an ongoing right to live, work and/or study in the UK.

To make an application to the scheme please visit the web site.

The UK left the EU on 31 January 2020

If you are offered a role at the University, and will be arriving the UK from 1 January 2021, you will need to secure additional documentation to demonstrate your right to live, work and/or study in the UK.

You will need to make an application under the points based immigration system.  The application routes that are available to you will depend on a number of factors, including the type of role.

Legal Support

From 1 January 2021 EU, EEA and non-EEA citizens will need to apply for a visa from the Home Office to enter, live and work in the UK.

To appoint individuals from outside the UK the University will need to apply to sponsor them and, in most circumstances, this will be under the Skilled Worker route or Global Talent route.

The role will need to satisfy salary and skill level criteria and the individual will need to pass an English language test and criminal record check.

The above information is for guidance only, you are advised to visit for the latest and more detailed information in relation to UK Immigration rules.

Back to top