Skip navigation

What is the EU settlement Scheme?

The EU settlement Scheme is an immigration permission for EU, EEA and Swiss Nationals who currently live in and intend to stay in the UK beyond the 31 December 2020.  This scheme allow them to retain their rights to live, study, work and access public services (such as healthcare) after the transition period ends.

  • Settled Status – If you have lived in the UK for at least 5 years, you will be awarded settled status allowing you to stay in the UK indefinitely.
  • Pre-settled Status -If you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years, you will be awarded pre-settled status which is valid for 5 years. Once you have lived in the UK for 5 years, you can apply for settled status.

Who can apply for the scheme?

Providing you are resident in the UK before the end of the transition date (31 December 2020) you are eligible to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. We advise you to make your application as soon as possible, ideally before the 31 December 2020 when free movement ends, although the scheme is open until 30 June 2021.

I am starting my course in January, can I apply for EUSS?

If you do not start your course at Northumbria until January 2021, you are still eligible to apply under this scheme, providing that you are resident in the UK before the end of the transition period (31 December 2020). You may wish to consider arriving before this date to avoid applying for a visa to enter the UK.

Do Irish Citizens/nationals need to apply for EUSS?

Irish citizens do not need to apply for the EU settlement scheme as their rights are protected under the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area arrangements.

What happens if I do not apply for the scheme?

It is important that EU, EEA and Swiss citizens secure their immigration status to avoid being in the UK illegally and therefore make this application to guarantee that they can legally, continue to reside in the UK and maintain their rights.

Applicants/Students who arrive after the end of the transition period (31 December 2020) will need to apply for a visa if they do not already hold Settled or Pre-Settled status.

What type of visa do I need to apply for?

  • Applicants studying courses longer than six months, will need to apply for a Student Visa (formally Tier 4).
  • Applicants studying English Language Courses that are 6 to 11 months are eligible to apply for a Short Term Study Visa

EU nationals with settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, and who meet the relevant eligibility requirements in force at the time of course commencement, will have access to home fee status and student financial support in the 2021-22 academic year. This has been confirmed in a written statement from the Universities Minister, however we are still awaiting further details on this.

EU, other EEA, and Swiss nationals will no longer be eligible for home fee status, undergraduate, postgraduate, and advanced learner financial support from Student Finance England for courses starting in academic year 2021/22.

This change will not affect:

  • Students starting courses in academic year 2020/21
  • EU, EEA and Swiss nationals benefiting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively
  • Irish nationals living in the UK and Ireland whose right to study and to access benefits and services will be preserved on a reciprocal basis for UK and Irish nationals under the Common Travel Area arrangement

All applicants who are not covered by one of the above criteria will be eligible for EU (International) Fees or International Fees (EEA/Swiss applicants) tuition Fees, at Northumbria. Further information on Fees and Funding can be found here.

Back to top