Skip navigation

Funding for EU Students

Financial help for EU students in the UK

From August 2021 EU/EEA nationals who intend to enter the UK to join a course are unlikely to be eligible for student funding from Student Finance England. 

In most cases, you will require Immigration permission, a visa, to enter the UK as a Student.  

Irish citizens will continue to have free movement into the UK and may qualify for Tuition Fee support or, where pre-resident in the UK and/or as a migrant-worker, may qualify for UK-student funding. See  

Already living in, and/or studying in the UK by 31 December 2020 Citizens of the EU, and EEA (inc. Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) who were living in the UK on or before 31 December 2020 can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS). The EUSS means non-UK citizens are able to stay and continue to work, study and access benefits and services such as NHS healthcare broadly on the same basis as prior to Brexit. It is free to apply. 

If you want to stay in the UK you’ll have until 30 June 2021 to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. Please see: how to continue living in the UK

Where granted either Pre-settled or Settled status under the EUSS you and relevant family members may be eligible for help from Student Finance England (SFE). Depending on your circumstances, you may qualify for: 

  • help with tuition fees only - non means tested loan 
  • home student funding: tuition fee and maintenance loans and additional help

For more information, please see:

Having acquired either settled status means you can freely enter/return to the UK without requiring any other Immigration permission. You would NOT require a visa. The EUSS grants Citizens’ rights to EU/EEA nationals' resident in the UK.  

Eligibility for the above will depend upon periods of residence in the EEA or UK prior to the course, and being normally resident in the UK. And also, which status you hold, Settled or Pre-settled.  

Non-UK EEA/Swiss/Turkish nationals normally resident in a region of the UK and Islands other than England should confirm their eligibility for "home" student funding with that region's funding provider, e.g. Student Finance Wales. 

EEA and Swiss Migrant Workers 

If in the UK with Pre-settled status, you will normally be eligible for Tuition Fee support only. However, if you are employed, or the relevant family-member of an employed person, a “migrant-worker”, you may be eligible for student funding on the same terms as a UK citizen i.e. “Home” student- funding. 

If you have any questions, please log an enquiry through your Student Portal or if you are not yet enrolled as a student, please complete our enquiry form.



Back to top