Skip navigation

Registering with a Doctor

It is very important for all students to be registered with a local doctor's surgery, so that you can see a doctor - often called a "General Practitioner" or "GP" - when you need to. Please register as soon as possible. Do not wait until you are unwell.

If you are a student from outside the UK, you may need to pay a healthcare surcharge (called the Immigration Health Surcharge or IHS) as part of your immigration application. There is some treatment that is free for everyone and some exemptions - see the Health and Healthcare article on the UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) website for more information.


How to register

  • Step 1: Find a surgery

If you are studying at our Newcastle campus, please visit the Student GP Registration website.

If you are studying at our London campus, please visit the NHS Choices website to choose a surgery which suits you.


  • Step 2: Visit the doctor's surgery to register in person 

It is often helpful to take two forms of identification (one which includes a photograph, such as your passport, BRP card or driving license, and another which shows your term-time address, such as your accommodation tenancy agreement). You will be asked to complete a registration form at the surgery. If you have any questions about how to register, you can find contact details for each surgery on the NHS website.

Back to top