Skip navigation



Unfortunately, due to the unprecedented situation with Covid-19 restrictions, we are working remotely and this means that it may take longer than usual for us to deal with requests for documents, or we may not have the facilities to produce certain documents.  Please be assured that all emails and applications will be read and processed as quickly as possible.

Graduates - we will send your degree parchment to your home address and issue your Higher Education Achievement Report approximately two months after you receive your results.


All Northumbria University graduates who complete a formal award receive a degree parchment or certificate.

Below you will find details relating to the distribution and production of certificates, as well as information on transcripts.

Click on the title of the section to reveal the information you require.

Distribution of Degree Parchments

The parchments for University degrees and other awards are printed by Academic Registry following the final examination boards, and are sent to the student's last recorded home address via standard post.

Students graduating at summer congregations can amend their certificate delivery address as part of their congregations booking task via e:Vision. You can access this task via your original congregation email invitation.

If you have an international address, your certificate will be sent by priority airmail which should take 7 – 10 working days but does not have a tracking facility.  You will have the option of paying for DHL express delivery.

Please Note - Students must ensure their home address is correct before completing their course and contact ask4help if they wish to change/update this address.

Parchments will include the student's name as recorded on the University’s student record system. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that their full legal name is recorded correctly and the home address is up to date, complete, and correct. Please update any incorrect or incomplete information by contacting ask4help or by using the ‘MyRecords' section on ‘MyNorthumbria’.

A statement on the University's position on certificate name changes can be found here.

Further information from the Deed Poll Office regarding the changing of names on official documents can be found by clicking here.

Witholding of Certificates

Certificates may be withheld from students by the University for the following reasons:
In the case of a student appeal against the final award, the parchment will be withheld until the outcome of the appeal is known.
In the case of a graduating student having outstanding debts to the University, the parchment will be withheld until the debt is cleared. Please contact Finance to discuss any outstanding payments that need to be made by calling (0191) 227 4050 or email

Diploma Supplement

The Diploma Supplement issued by Northumbria University follows the model developed by the European Commission, Council of Europe and UNESCO/CEPES. The purpose of the supplement is to provide sufficient independent data to improve the international ‘transparency’, and fair academic and professional recognition of qualifications (diplomas, degrees certificates etc.).

It is designed to provide a description of the nature, level, context, content, and status of the studies that were pursued and successfully completed by the individual named on the original qualification to which this supplement is appended.

If you require a copy of a diploma supplement please contact the Exams and Awards Team via email.

Certified Copies of Documents

Graduates can request a certified copy of their award certificate and/or transcript by using the online application and payments at the right this page. The cost for this is £10 per document. For £10, graduates will receive a hard copy of their document and an electronic version.
Important Notice - applications for certified copies of documents must be completed by the online at the right of the page or using the links below. Emailed requests will be asked to complete an application and payment online

Online application and payment for certified copy of certificate only.

Online application and payment for certified copy of transcript only.

Online application and payment for certified copy of certificate and transcript.

Please note, Academic Registry aim to process applications within 7-10 working days; this may be longer during peak periods.

Duplicate Certificates- Online Application

To apply for a duplicate certificate or transcript please use our online application system. To access the online application system please visit the links on the right hand side of this page. Or click here.
All applicants are required to complete an online application form, which includes the declaration, and pay the fee of £40. Upon completion, the online application will be sent to Academic Registry for processing.   
An applicant seeking a duplicate certificate for a University award must provide the University with either:

  • The damaged or defaced certificate OR
  • The University's Declaration section of the online application. You must set out fully the circumstances in which the certificate was lost or destroyed, and include an undertaking that, should a duplicate be issued, it will be returned to the University if the original is subsequently found.

Please Note, Academic Registry aim to process applications within 7-10 working days; this may be longer during peak periods.  Graduates are only able to request one copy of their original certificate; multiple applications will not be processed.

Duplicate Transcripts

Graduates do not automatically receive a copy of their academic transcript along with their final degree certificate. All students receive access to an electronic copy of their transcript in the form of their HEAR. For more information on the HEAR please click here.

Between 2005 and 2014 graduates would have received an official transcript with their certificate. Official copies of these transcripts are only available for those who completed courses after 2005. If graduates have lost or misplaced their original transcript they can apply for a replacement at a cost of £30 by completing the online application form by clicking on the ‘Duplicate Transcripts Online Application and Payments’ link on the right hand side of this page or click here.

If you studied at Northumbria between 1993 and 2005, official transcripts were not issued at that time and so cannot be reproduced. If you need a breakdown of your marks and modules from that period of study, please contact in the first instance for advice. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that we can provide these details.

Original copies of transcripts and certificates cannot be sent to third party institutions. If graduates are applying for further study etc Academic Registry can send certified copies of a graduate's certificate and transcript to addresses provided by graduates, however, this may not be possible during peak periods or to specific deadlines.

Please note, Academic Registry aim to process applications within 7-10 working days; this may be longer during peak periods.

International Express Delivery Option

To request DHL delivery for any applications for original or certified copies of documents to be sent overseas you can make a payment here.

Letters Confirming Awards

If you require a letter to support applications and as proof of your award we can supply a conferral letter printed on University headed paper.

This document details the course that you studied, the award you achieved, the level of award and the date that you graduated.

To apply, please complete this form and email this to If you have specific requirements for the letter please call  (0191) 227 4600 to discuss this further or email

Please note, Academic Registry aim to process applications within 7-10 working days; this may be longer during peak periods.

Module Descriptors

Graduates can request copies of Module Descriptions for each of the modules they studied (where available) for an overal cost of £50.

Please note that some older records may not be available. If you studied prior to 2006, please contact the certificates team on

To purchase copies of Module Descriptors click here.

Newcastle Polytechnic Certificates -Pre 1992 Graduates

In 1992 Newcastle Polytechnic became the University of Northumbria at Newcastle, also known as Northumbria University. This change in status from Polytechnic to University came about following the Further and Higher Education Act 1992, which abolished the Council for National Academic Awards (CNAA), the body responsible for awarding all Polytechnic degrees.

Certificates - The Open University are now responsible for the care and custody of all CNAA records for the purposes of authenticating original award documents, issuing copies and providing verification of entries. Please visit their website for an application form here . For queries please call (0)1908 332 852.  

Transcripts - With the exception of a few selected Health related courses, Northumbria University does not hold transcripts for pre-1992 Polytechnic students as they were not administered by the University. We are therefore unable to produce transcripts for this period. Pre-1992 transcripts are also not available from the Open University.  Transcripts for this period are likely to have been disposed of at point of transfer to University status.

For replacement BTEC awards prior to 1992, please contact EdExcel on 0845 618 0440 (from within the UK) or +44 (0)161 855 7514 (from outside the UK)


Why haven’t I received my certificate?

There are several reasons you may not have received your certificate.

  • If you have received your results then the certificate will be sent out to you 4-6 weeks after the progression and awards board following the of completion of the degree. There will, therefore, be a delay between receiving your results and receiving your certificate.
  • The certificate may be lost in the post. Please contact if you have been waiting longer than 6 weeks for your certificate.
  • Option to retrieve students will not receive their certificate until their retrieval has been awarded.
  • Students re-sitting modules will receive their certificates once resists are completed and our department has been notified of your success.

I cannot find an answer to my question; who do I need to speak to?

  • Please email or call (0191) 227 4600 to speak to a member of the certificates team.

Back to top