Skip navigation

Short Term Study Visitor

Students coming to the UK for an English language course between 6 – 11 months long can apply for a Short Term Study visa. Applicants are required to apply for Entry Clearance from outside the UK and will need to meet the application requirements including; 

  • evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months 
  • details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you should not pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa 
  • evidence that you’ve paid your course fees or have enough money to pay them 
  • your tuberculosis (TB) test results, if you’re from a country where you have to take the TB test 
  • ATAS certificate if applicable 
  • A letter from Northumbria University confirming your course details.  

You can find details of the requirements for the Short Term Study visa here.  

Applicants should not intend to settle in the UK, or use successive leave under Short Term Study to make the UK their home.   

Successful applicants will receive a vignette transit visa, you must travel to the UK before the end date of the transit visa. You will then be able to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) once you have arrived in the UK.  

While in the UK on a Short Term study visa you cannot change course or institution, you must also leave the UK within 30 days of course end date. Failure to do so can impact your UK immigration record.  

Applicants who will be studying a course of 6 months of less in length, at an accredited institution, may be able to apply for a visitor visa. 

Only certain type of study can be undertaken while on a visitor visa, please include: 

  • Study of a programme of 6 months or less in length 
  • Re-sitting examinations 
  • Taking part in a viva as part of your Postgraduate Research programme 
  • Study abroad programmes of less than 6 months in length 

You will require a letter from Northumbria University which confirms the type of study you will be undertaking.  

If you are studying a programme which requires ATAS you must apply for this before travelling to the UK, you should apply as soon as you are notified of your ATAS requirement.  

Not all students are required to apply for entry clearance, some nationals can apply for this visa on entry to the UK. You should carefully read the information on UKCISA to assess whether you are required to apply for entry clearance before travelling to the UK.  

If you are you required to apply for entry clearance, and use e-Gates when entering the UK you should keep your boarding pass as evidence of your route and date of entry to the UK. You will be required to show this as part of your enrolment.  

a sign in front of a crowd

Northumbria Open Days

Open Days are a great way for you to get a feel of the University, the city of Newcastle upon Tyne and the course(s) you are interested in.

a person sitting at a table using a laptop
NU World Virtual Tours

Virtual Tour

Get an insight into life at Northumbria at the click of a button! Come and explore our videos and 360 panoramas to immerse yourself in our campuses and get a feel for what it is like studying here using our interactive virtual tour.

Latest News and Features

Northumbria appoints leading business figures as Visiting Professors
Crime scene
Sustainable condenser tumble dryers
View of the countryside from Richmond, London. People on green grass field near lake during daytime
The Crypt at Newcastle Cathedral
Event aims to connect academic knowledge and policy makers
Final year Music Degree students Allan Colver, Jeremy Teasdale and Caitlin Hedley, pictured standing next to a grand piano
More events

Upcoming events

Grow Your Own – How To Attract, Develop and Retain a Talented Team.
The Building Safety Act and its Implications

Back to top