Skip navigation


If you require immigration permission to study in the UK you will need to apply for the appropriate leave before starting your course at Northumbria University.  

The categories which may be appropriate for study in the UK are: 

  • The Student Route for students who are 16 or older (please note that Tier 4 General closed to new applicants on the 5th October 2020, new students who wish to study in the UK for over 6 months must apply for the Student Route). 
  • The short-term study route for students who want to study English Language courses between 6 – 11 months 

  • The visitor route for students wishing to study a course of 6 months of less 

Nationals of EEA or Switzerland 
The United Kingdom (UK) left the European Union (EU) on 31st January 2020. EEA or Swiss nationals who do not have Settled or pre-Settled status, or another status which permits study in the UK, may need to apply for a Student Route visa If they wish to study a course of over 6 months. Further details for Nationals of EEA or Switzerland can be found here.  

Immigration Basics

Applying for a Student VISA

Preparing to live in the UK

Immigration and Arrival

On your Course and Beyond

Back to top