The Centre encourages the exchange of ideas and facilitates collaboration regionally, nationally and internationally. NCECJS brings together Northumbria academics and postgraduate students from a range of disciplines with colleagues from other academic institutions, members of the judiciary, legal practitioners and other major stakeholders in the criminal justice system such as senior police officers and leading expert witnesses. Its reputation is based on an extensive range of academic publications as well as a major programme of externally funded research and significant public engagement activities.
The Centre organises an annual seminar programme for researchers and practitioners, as well as national and international conferences or symposia. Almost all of these events are free of charge and open to non-members, who through participation in such events often become involved in a wider range of the Centre’s activities.
NCECJS members have attracted research funding from bodies such as The Modern Law Review, the European Commission, the Belgian Ministry of Justice and the Nuffield Foundation. Several of the senior academic members are also are editors or contributors to numerous books and journals in the fields of criminal law, criminal evidence, civil evidence and socio-legal studies (both academic and practitioner) for leading publishers.
- Patron of the Centre | Lord Stevens of Kirkwhelpington QPM DL, Chancellor of the University of Northumbria at Newcastle
- Overseas Patron of the Centre | Sir David Baragwanath KNZM, Q.C, Appellate Judge and former President of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon created by the United Nations Security Council, formerly a Judge of the New Zealand Court of Appeal and a former President of the New Zealand Law Commission.
- Honorary President | His Honour Judge Prince, Honorary Judicial Recorder of Durham, Resident Judge Durham Crown Court
- Director | Dr Michael Stockdale
- Deputy Director | Adam Jackson
- Deputy Director | Natalie Wortley
- Special Projects Adviser | Tim Wilson Professor of Criminal Justice Policy, Northumbria Law School