Skip navigation

After you Graduate

As your course comes to an end you should start thinking about your plans for after your studies, whether these involve further study, work in the UK or leaving the UK. Whatever your decision is, you should start making the arrangements as soon as possible. You should make sure that you are aware of the expiry date of your visa; you must leave the UK or, if remaining in the UK, make a valid visa application before the expiry date of your current visa.  

Graduate Route

The Graduate Route is now open for eligible UK graduates.

The key requirements for this visa is that applicants have successfully completed an eligible UK degree, that they have studied in the UK on a sponsored visa for the required time and that they are in the UK on a valid Tier 4/Student Route visa at the time of application.Successful applicants will receive leave for two years under the Graduate Route, or three years for PhD graduates.

As your sponsor, we will inform the Home Office of students who have completed an eligible course while on a Tier 4/Student Route visa.You will receive an email when the University has confirmed that you have completed an eligible programme. If you have completed your programme (received your formal results) and have not received this email more than 10 working days before your visa expiry date please contact us through the Student Portal. Current students can find further information on the Student Portal.

Applicants should read the Graduate Route guidance before submitting an application. 

If your course started in 2020 or 2021, was 12 months or less and you have been distance learning outside of the UK during this time please note you will need to come to the UK under the Student Route by 27th September in order to be eligible to apply. If your Student visa ends before the 27th September, you will need to come to the UK before the end date of your visa. 

 If you require further information on the Graduate Immigration Route please contact a member of the Welfare, Immigration and Funding Team (WIFT) by submitting an enquiry through the student portal and a member of staff will contact you in due course. 

Further information on the Graduate Route can be found on the UKCISA webpages.  

Leaving the UK

If you are leaving the UK once your studies have finished you should start to think about the practical arrangements that you need to make.  

Working in the UK after your studies

If you have a Tier 4 or Student Route visa, your visa should extend past your course completion date. You are normally eligible to work in the UK during this additional leave, however you may lose this right if you don’t complete you course. You can find information on working on your Tier 4/Student Route visa on the UKCISA webpages

If you wish to remain in the UK to work full time past the expiry date of your student visa you will need to apply for new immigration permission to do so. Information on the types of working visas to consider can be found on our Working during and after study page

a sign in front of a crowd

Northumbria Open Days

Open Days are a great way for you to get a feel of the University, the city of Newcastle upon Tyne and the course(s) you are interested in.

a person sitting at a table using a laptop
a bridge over a body of water

Virtual Tour

Get an insight into life at Northumbria at the click of a button! Come and explore our videos and 360 panoramas to immerse yourself in our campuses and get a feel for what it is like studying here using our interactive virtual tour.

Back to top