Skip navigation

Your Support at Northumbria

Support is available through the Northumbria University Student Accessibility Team through agreement of a Student Support Plan (SAP).

Please read the information below, and register with our team as soon as possible to ensure your support is in place from the start of your course.

A Student Accessibility Plan is your personalised on-course support at Northumbria. This is agreed at an appointment with an Accessibility Adviser. Your Student Accessibility Plan may include: 

  • Recommended reasonable adjustments to teaching and learning

  • Alternative exam arrangements (see below section for details)

  • Notifying your tutors about your Specific Learning Difficulty, disability or accessibility need

  • Access to library support

  • Arranging support workers or non-medical help

  • Support applying for DSA

At this appointment, your adviser can also give guidance on your Application for DSA if eligible.  

Your Student Accessibility Plan is an academic document, and cannot include medical or daily living support.

For full information on a Student Accessibility Plan, please see our SAP Guide

Students with medical evidence of a diagnosed need or condition can register for a Student Accessibility Plan.

This includes physical conditions, sensory impairments, specific learning difficulties (SpLD) including dyslexia and ADHD, a social or communication difficulty such as an autism spectrum conditions, or long-term mental health conditions.

Medical evidence must be uploaded with the registration form. The medical evidence should be from a suitably qualified medical professional, such as a GP or consultant. It should be typed on letter headed paper, signed, and dated. Ideally, the letter should have been written within the last 6 - 12 months. If possible, the letter should state the impact that your disability or medical condition will have on your academic studies.

The University is unable to contact a medical professional to request medical evidence on your behalf. If the medical professional charges for medical evidence to be released, it is up to you to cover this cost.

Please note: For dyslexia and other specific learning difficulties, we cannot accept a Form 8 or dyslexia screener report as they do not provide the comprehensive range of tests that we need for Higher Education level study. A Form 8 is used in schools and colleges to apply for exam access arrangements, such as 25% extra time or the use of a scribe. It is not based on a full psychological assessment, which is required for support in Higher Education. See the “Dyslexia / Specific Learning Difficulty” section below for full information.

If you're applying to study at Northumbria, or if you're an offer holder, you should complete a Student Accessibility Registration Form, uploading your medical evidence.

Once you register and your medical evidence has been reviewed, you will be invited to book an appointment with an Accessibility Advisor. At this appointment, the support available to you will be discussed, and your Student Support Plan will be created.

If you have a Physical or Sensory Impairment, Mental Health Condition, Autistic Spectrum Condition, Dyslexia or other Specific Learning Difficulty, you may be able to get individual exam arrangements included on your Student Accessibility Plan. Depending on your needs, these arrangements can include extra time, use of a PC, reader or scribe.

To receive these conditions, you must be registered with our service and have a Student Accessibility Plan in place prior to the exam arrangement deadlines.

To receive support, you must provide a full diagnostic assessment report carried out by an Educational Psychologist (or other qualified professional) confirming you have dyslexia/specific learning difficulties. The report must meet the Guidance on SpLD Diagnostic Assessments. We cannot accept a Form 8 or dyslexia screener.

If you have a full diagnosis of dyslexia or another specific learning difficulty with a full diagnostic report as evidence, you should register as instructed above.

If you do not have a full diagnostic assessment report, we can arrange for a full psychological assessment once you are an enrolled student. When you are fully enrolled, request an assessment via your student portal.

Contact Us


Find out how to contact the Student Accessibility Team.

Back to top