Skip navigation

Funding for Student Parents

Studying at university whilst bringing up children can be expensive. There are, however, a number of financial support schemes which could help you including: 

There are different types of funding you can apply for depending on the course you are studying, your mode of study and the level of study (i.e. undergraduate or postgraduate). For more information on the funding available for different types of courses and levels of study click here.

Government Funding

Statutory funding is funding support provided by the UK Regional governments which eligible students can access. From Student Finance England, this includes the Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan (which may include a "special support element" depending on your circumstances), Grants for Dependants (GFDs) and additionally for NHS health professions courses, the Learning Support Fund.   

Student Finance England Grants For Dependants include: Parents Learning Allowance (PLA), Adult Dependent Grant (ADG) and Childcare Grant (CCG). 

Please note that students on NHS-professional courses who started their course on or after August 2017, and who are eligible to take out student loans, may be eligible to receive additional support from the NHSBSA.  This fund has three main grant elements, the Training Grant, the Parental Support Grant and the Travel and Dual Accommodation Expenses Fund. For more information please click here.

University Funding 

Discretionary funding is the type of funding that you access through your University and is usually assessed on an individual basis – this includes: 

For more information, please contact the Welfare, Immigration and Funding Team.


Back to top