Skip navigation


Am I eligible to claim benefits while studying?

The information that follows is intended for guidance only. There are strict rules for each benefit regarding eligibility.

The majority of full-time students cannot claim benefits.  If you are a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate you will not usually be able to claim any other benefits during your course of study, however, you may still be entitled to claim if you:

  • have a disability 
  • have a student partner and a child, and it is the summer vacation 

If you have a child/children under the age of 18 (or 20 if they are still in full time education) you may be able to claim Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit.

For more information on eligibility and what benefits you may be able to claim, as well as which elements of your student funding should be disregarded as income, please click here. Non-student partners may be entitled to claim benefits at any time, but the student loan will be taken into account as income.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new government benefit replacing six working age and income-related benefits, also called 'legacy benefits'.  For more information, please click here.

Please contact your local Job Centre Plus for information. Funding and benefits information for lone parents will be different for part-time students or postgraduate students. 

Current Students: For further advice and information, please contact us via the student portal.



Back to top