Skip navigation


Finding a childcare provider

The first thing you will need to do when arranging childcare is find out exactly what is available in your area. Once you have found local providers, you will need to do a bit of research to see which will suit your child best.

Your local Council provides guidance and information on finding the best childcare for your children.   If you want up-to-date information on childcare providers or free early learning and care for three and four year olds contact your Local Family Information Service:

North Tyneside
South Tyneside  

Choosing a childcare provider

Choosing childcare and early education can be a big step for many families. As well as making sure that the type of childcare you choose is the one that best meets the needs of you and your child, you also need reassurance that your child will be safe, secure, well looked-after and happy. The Gov UK web page provides you with all the information you need including:

•  How to search for childcare providers
•  Types of childcare available to you
•  Childcare provider inspection reports

Childcare at Northumbria 

The University has an Ofsted registered 96 place nursery providing care and education to children from birth to 4 years.  Applications are welcomed from staff, students and members of our community.  

For further details please see Northumbria University Nursery.

Applying for Help with Childcare Costs

Students funded by Student Finance England can apply for the Childcare Grant online as part of their main student finance application.

You will have to send Student Finance some evidence of your child’s identity etc.  You will be told what evidence is needed when you apply.

If your application is approved, you will be advised of how much childcare grant you are eligible to receive and also to set up an account with the Childcare Grant Payment Service (CCGPS).  They will then be able to pay your childcare provider directly, according to your childcare grant entitlement.

Please visit childcare costs for more information.

Childcare funding support for students normally resident in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland varies by region and students should consult their own funding providers.  Please see the below links for further information:

Childcare -Student Awards Agency Scotland

Childcare -Student Finance Wales

Childcare -Student Finance Northern Ireland


Back to top