Northumbria Law School is one of the largest law schools in the UK, with a national and international reputation for excellence in legal education.
We offer a comprehensive range of programmes and flexible modes of study to help our undergraduate students become aspiring lawyers and professionals, and our post graduate students take their career to the next level.
Our £70 million state-of-the-art city centre location provides an outstanding learning environment with professional facilities including a real courtroom, onsite law library, legal skills hub and law clinic.
All our undergraduate courses satisfy the requirements of the qualifying law degree (QLD) - the academic stage of qualification for solicitors and barristers. We are also one of only six institutions outside of London to provide the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) and we offer an unrivalled range of Masters programmes via flexible distance learning, designed for busy professionals, and accessible to students across the UK and around the world.
For undergraduate students, our unique M Law degree is an integrated masters programme which incorporates all the elements of academic and vocational study needed to train as a solicitor or barrister and our cutting edge Open Learning degrees offer a technology led experience for global students.
A key focus at Northumbria is to enhance the career prospects of our graduates. Northumbria Law School is the highest ranked institution for graduates in professional employment, according to data from the latest Destination for Leavers in Higher Education report.
We are a multi award winning Law School, having received the highly prestigious Queen’s Anniversary Prize for the outstanding work of our Student Law Office – the largest University Law Clinic in the UK. We have also won the prestigious “Best Law School” accolade at the Attorney General’s Student Pro Bono Awards a record three times.
Points of Distinction
- Largest Law School in North East of England with national and international reputation for excellence in legal education.
- Students learn in authentic civil and criminal courtroom facilities, including a real criminal courtroom donated by the Courts Service allowing real life exposure.
- State-of-the-art £70 million city centre campus location. Outranked 48 other leading law schools across the globe to take second place on The Best Choice Schools website’s list of ‘50 Most Impressive Law School Buildings’.
- Unique M Law degree offering double qualification at Masters level, incorporating: Bar or Legal Practice Course Exemption and Qualifying Law Degree.
- DHLE rankings for Law graduates from DLHE report 2012/13 (published summer 2014):
- Ranked 1st for percentage of law graduates in professional employment (61%)
- Ranked 2nd for number of law graduates in professional employment (270)
- Ranked 1st for number of law graduates in general employment (370)
- Offers several European student exchanges in Germany, Spain, Sweden and the Czech Republic as part of the Erasmus Exchange Programmes
- Ranked 1st for percentage of law graduates in general employment (84%)
* Centre for Evidence and Criminal Justice within Northumbria Law School recognised as a global research and engagement centre bringing together academics, judges and lawyers.
* Northumbria University awarded 2013 Queens Anniversary Prize in Further and Higher and Further Education for the outstanding community work of its Student Law Office.
* The Student Law Office has managed more than 3,000 enquiries, represented more than 1,000 clients and secured almost £1 million on their behalf since 2008.
* Student Engagement Centre supporting student employability through learning experiences such as volunteering, placements, internships and business clinics. It’s where university life meets the real world.