The Student Charter has been jointly developed by Northumbria University and Northumbria Students’ Union and summarises the University’s aspirations for all of its students.
"In partnership, Northumbria University and Northumbria Students’ Union will undertake to encourage staff and student behaviours underpinned by values of equity, diversity, fairness, collegiality and a concern for ethical behaviour and for the welfare of individuals within the University and wider society, and to uphold standards in order that students can be justifiably proud of their achievements and the value of a Northumbria award.
Enjoy your time at Northumbria!"
Joint Statement from the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Andrew Wathey, and the Students’ Union President, Adam Crawley
We ask you to:
- Actively engage with your learning opportunities both inside and outside of the classroom
- Ensure you are aware of University regulations, policies and procedures
- Participate in all opportunities to receive feedback on your assessed work as well as opportunities to give feedback on your learning experience
- Keep your University record up to date
- Seek academic and personal support and advice when you need it
- Treat your peers, staff and members of the local community with respect, dignity and courtesy at all times
- Treat University resources and facilities with respect
We will provide:
- A high quality, challenging and stimulating learning and teaching experience supported by academic staff committed to their professional development and your academic and personal development
- Access to a library for learning and a range of student support and wellbeing services offering specialist advice and support
- Induction and welcome back sessions
- A programme handbook, module guides and resources relevant to your studies
- Feedback on your assessments and performance (within 20 working days) to help you develop during your time here
- A personal tutor and opportunities to meet with module tutors and other staff
- Accurate, transparent and timely information about your programme
- Opportunities for you to comment on your whole student experience
Northumbria Students Union
- Welcome you to Northumbria!
- Offer a vast range of societies, projects and volunteering opportunities for you to have fun, make friends and enhance your CV
- Give you the chance to democratically elect students who will lead your Students’ Union and campaign on your behalf
- Champion your interests and represent your views and opinions to the University, the local community, and at a national level
- Work in partnership with the University to enrich your experience and provide you with the best education possible
- Provide you with an independent and confidential advice service to advise you on a wide variety of academic issues
- Give you an environment in which to meet your friends, enjoy some down time or work in a comfortable and relaxing space