Skip navigation

Accommodation FAQ

Booking Accommodation

Who can book accommodation?

We offer accommodation for Northumbria University students from all levels of study, including foundation or postgraduate study. 

Unfortunately, we are unable to offer accommodation to students who do not attend Northumbria University.

For students starting in September 2024, we guarantee accommodation in university-owned or university-commissioned residences to all new full-time Undergraduate students who book accommodation by midnight 30th June 2024.*

*The accommodation guarantee applies to new Undergraduate students only (Home and International) who have accepted a course offer from Northumbria on a full-time taught programme. Accommodation bookings must be completed via the Student Portal by midnight 30th June 2024. The accommodation guarantee is an offer of a room in a university-owned or university-commissioned residence. Students need to sign a tenancy agreement and make an accommodation advance rent payment to complete their booking. The accommodation guarantee applies to full-year, single-occupancy bookings only.
Due to a high volume of applications, we're unable to provide multiple room offers and we encourage students to strongly consider the room details before declining their accommodation.

We encourage students to book accommodation early and always in advance of travelling to Northumbria University. 

How can I book?

You can book accommodation in five easy steps:

1. Confirm Northumbria University as your Firm/First choice University.

If you are applying via UCAS, please log into UCAS Hub and accept your course offer as Firm. Please note this might take up-to 48h to be updated on the University system.
If you are applying via Clearing, please log into UCAS Track and refer yourself to confirm your course offer.

If you are a direct entry applicant, please visit the Applicant Portal to review and accept your course offer. To learn more about the process and the required steps, you can visit the After You Apply page. 

2. Receive your student portal login details via email, log in and go to the Accommodation section to start your application.

Wait up-to 48 hours for UCAS to update and using your applicant portal login details (you will have received this via email when you applied) select the Accommodation section to start your application. 

Top Tip: Make sure you register with your personal email address and not one associated to a school/college. School/College email addresses are often closed after you leave and can delay the process.

Lost your login details? Get in touch with our team by calling 0191 227 4209 or Contact the IT team by using IT Chat

3. Select your bedroom

View the building floor plan and select the exact bedroom you want to live in based on real-time availability. Browse through the available options using our self-selection system and make your room selection. You can see some general details about your flatmates, such age, country of origin, course and level of study.

We recommend students book accommodation early and always in advance of travel.
Bookings made during August are completed via an application form. Please include a minimum of five accommodation choices and submit your flatmate preferences to allow us to process your details. The team will contact you via email with information on availability, please check your emails regularly, including your spam folder.

4. Complete your contract 

Once you have received your room offer, you can log into the Student Portal to review your accommodation details. You are required to sign a tenancy agreement to accept and confirm your accommodation booking. This is completed online and you receive a confirmation email with all relevant documents. 

Top Tip: Make sure you read your contract carefully as it is a legally binding contract. If you don’t understand anything, get in touch, we will be happy to run through it with you.

5. Make an advance rent payment

You will need to make an advance rent payment to complete the booking. The amount depends on the building you have selected, expand the Payments & Rent section for more details. 

Once you've completed the process above, the room is secured for you. You will also get access to our dedicated Facebook groups to help you connect with flatmates before you arrive.

Your data will be processed in accordance with our accommodation Privacy Notice. By submitting your application you are confirming that you have read this privacy notice.

My first choice accommodation is showing as full, what do I do?

On occasions, more availability for specific buildings will be added so please drop us an email to check to see if they have all been uploaded.

If your preferred choice is full, look at similar options - for example Winn has the same set up as New Bridge and is only a 5-minute walk from campus.

Still unsure what to do? Drop us an email or give us a call and we will be happy to run through the different options for you. We encourage students to book accommodation early and always in advance of travelling to Northumbria University. 

Is there any accommodation at Coach Lane Campus?

No, all of our accommodation is now based in the City Centre, but there is free travel between the two campuses on the number 1 bus.

Stagecoach’s number 1 bus runs between the City and Coach Lane Campuses every ten minutes, seven days a week and is free of charge to Northumbria students that board at the University’s designated stops and produce their smartcard. Both students and staff can use this service between 7am and 10.15pm every day.

Alternatively, if you live at Trinity Square and you don’t want to walk to City Campus for the number 1 bus, you can purchase a Student Metro ticket and travel between Gateshead and Four Lane Ends. A student Metro ticket between the two stops is around £59.80 per month. You can visit the Nexus website for more information on tickets.

Is there designated accommodation for nursing students?

No, we want to give students the flexibility to pick their own accommodation so we do not have designated buildings for different courses. When you browse the building availability, you can click on an occupied room to see what courses your potential flatmates are doing, as well as their age, year of study, course and interests they may have entered. This means you can take all of these factors into account when you make your booking.

Do you offer accommodation to students who are under 18?

Yes, any student that is offered to study on a full-time course and has accepted their course offer as Firm can book accommodation. Students who are under the age of 18 at the start of the tenancy are accommodated at Trinity Square where they can benefit from available support 24/7. Upon completing the booking for Trinity Square students will be required to provide contact details for a cosignatory who can review and co-sign the tenancy agreement.

If you have any questions about the accommodation we offer to students who are under 18, please contact the Accommodation Team.

Do you offer single semester accommodation?

Yes, we offer single semester accommodation for students who are on placements or take part in an exchange programme. Single semester accommodation availability is limited and provided on a first-come-first-served basis. We encourage students to book accommodation early and always in advance of travelling to Northumbria University. 

Semester one accommodation runs from September through to January and Semester two accommodation runs January though to July. 

Do you offer summer accommodation?

Yes, however we have a reduced availability. If you are a current resident, you will be contacted in April with guidance on how to apply for summer accommodation.
If you're not a current resident, you can contact the team on to check availability. 

Do you offer accessible accommodation?

The University has a variety of accommodation available to students who might require additional adaptations to their room. Students with a disability should contact the University's Student Life and Wellbeing Team for help in choosing appropriate accommodation and to arrange a visit.
We offer adapted rooms at Claude Gibb, Glenamara House, Winn, New Bridge, Camden Court and Trinity Square. Suitable accommodation is offered following a personal assessment and is offered on a first-come-first served basis. Please contact the accommodation team to discuss your personal requirements.

Where carer accommodation is required, students would normally fund this from their care management package.

Do you offer catered accommodation?

Yes, we offer catered accommodation in Claude Gibb. The meals are prepared by our campus caterers, Taste Northumbria.
Students living at Claude Gibb receive two meals per day, served at the dinning hall. Please note that there are no meals provided during the Christmas or Easter break. Meal times are listed below: 

Monday - Friday  

 Breakfast 08:00 - 10:00      Breakfast 09:00 - 11:00
 Dinner 17:00 - 19:00      Lunch 12:00 - 14:00

If you would prefer to be in a self-catering residence but do not want to cook every single day, we would recommend that you download the Uni Food Hub app on your phone which can be used to pay for catering around campus. Family and friends can also top up your Uni Food Hub app and pre-pay for meals for you. Just make sure all of your family have your login details before you leave for Uni.

If you want to join the revolution on food waste, download the Too Good To Go app. This app allows you to rescue delicious food so you can eat well with a clean conscious at all catering outlets on campus.

How do I apply for accommodation at the London Campus?

You can find further information about accommodation options for students based on the London Campus here.



Who will I be living with?

Our booking system is based on real time availability. If somebody has already booked into a flat the bed will show as red. If you click on a red bed, it will tell you the person's gender, where they are from and if they are a postgraduate or undergraduate, how old they are and what course they will study. Please note this information is only available to students who book prior to A-Level results day.

Unfortunately, due to data protection, we are unable to tell you the name of the other students in your flat, but we will invite you to join our Facebook groups so you can find them online. As you are booking directly with us, you will only be allocated with other Northumbria University students.

Can I find out the names of my flatmates?

Due to data protection regulations we are unable to provide you with this information, however we will give you access to our Facebook groups which are exclusive to students in the specific residence. This way you can use the power of social media to find your new flat mates.

I forgot what flat I booked, how do I find flatmates in the Facebook group?

Your flat and room number is written on the top of your contract. For example NB01-2 means that you are in New Bridge Street, flat one, room 2. You can check your booking details via the Accommodation section of the Student Portal by selecting Review Completed Booking.

Can I share a flat with my friend?

Yes, when you apply for accommodation make sure you find a flat which has the correct amount of empty rooms in it. Once the first person has started their application it will lock the full flat, the next person can only book once the first person has completed their application.

If you can’t find an flat with enough empty rooms, drop us an email and we can check the availability for all the accommodation for you.

Do you offer accommodation for couples?

Yes, we offer accommodation for couples in Trinity Square; however, both tenants must be Northumbria University students who are in a relationship.

Our tenancy agreements are for single occupancy by default. If you and your partner are eligible for couples tenancy, please get in touch with us and we will arrange a couples tenancy agreement for you and advice on the cost.

Do you offer accommodation for families?

We can only offer accommodation to full-time Northumbria University students and we don't offer family accommodation. 


Tenancy Agreements

What is a tenancy agreement and is it legally binding?

A tenancy agreement is a contract between yourself and the University. Make sure that you read this information thoroughly as it is a legally binding contract. Please familiarise yourself with the accommodation rules which can be found here.

Do I need a guarantor to book accommodation?

Bookings at university-owned accommodation (Glenamara House, New Bridge, Winn and Trinity Square) do not require a guarantor. 

Bookings at university-commissioned residences do require a guarantor. Please check the information for the building that you're interested to learn about the guarantor requirements. 

What is a rent guarantor?
Most landlords, including private accommodation providers that rent properties to students, require a third person to act as a 'guarantor' before a tenancy agreement can be completed. 
A guarantor is a third-part, for example a family member, who agrees to pay the rent if for any reason you as the tenant cannot. In some cases a guarantor is also liable for the other costs that might be incurred, for example any damage to the property that happen whilst you were living there. Agreeing to be a guarantor is a binding legal commitment, and landlords can take legal action against your guarantor if the rent, or other costs, are not paid.
Check if you need a guarantor for student housing that you're interested in and be sure to get this is place before you start.

Who can act as a rent guarantor?
A person acting as a guarantor would normally have the following credentials: 
- UK individual citizen - to enable a landlord to pursue action through the UK court system if required
- Solvent - credit checks may be taken to assess ability to meet any potential liability

I don't have a guarantor, what can I do?
Some of the accommodation buildings we offer such as Glenamara House, New Bridge, Winn and Trinity Square do not require a guarantor. 
If you wish to book accommodation in a residence where a guarantor is required, but you cannot provide one - you can explore the service provided by Housing Hand.

Can I view the accommodation before I confirm my booking?

As the booking system shows real time availability we can’t guarantee that we can show you the exact room, however we will be more than happy to show you a similar option.

Viewings can be arranged by appointment only between 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. As you may be viewing an occupied flat, please provide us with at least 24 hour notice. 

Can I change my accommodation after I have signed the tenancy agreement?

If you are unhappy with your accommodation please get in touch and we will see what we can do to help. 

Each request for a room move will be reviewed on an individual case and will be subject to availability.

How long is my tenancy agreement?

Contract lengths vary depending on which building you want to be in.

Camden Court, Glenamara House, New Bridge Street, Trinity Square, Winn and iQ Stephenson House are all on a 43-week contract. Claude Gibb contracts are for 39 weeks (please note catering is provided for 33 weeks only). The contract length for Byron Central and Quay Point is 44 weeks.

A 51-week contract length is available at Winn, New Bridge and Trinity Square and this is a great option for anyone who might have a placement, study a postgraduate course or simply wish to spend the summer in the city.

We also offer a single semester tenancy for students who might take part in the exchange programme or a placement. Single semester accommodation is offered at Glenamara House, Winn and Trinity Square and is for the period between September - January or January - July.

Can I get out of my tenancy agreement early?

No, it is a legally binding contract and you will be required to pay any outstanding costs or find a suitable successor.

A successor is another full-time enrolled Northumbria University student who is not already living in University accommodation who is a suitable fit for your flat. Should you find a suitable successor there will be a £50 administration/cleaning charge added onto your account.

Top Tip: If you are trying to find a successor try using different social media platforms or advertising it on notice boards around campus.

Can I extend my contract?

Yes, depending upon availability. Just drop us an email and we will let you know the cost and if you can extend in the same room.

If we can’t extend your contract in the same room, you may have to move to a different flat or building.

Can somebody else discuss my tenancy

You can provide consent for a third party to access information regarding your accommodation and act on your behalf. This is normally a parent or a guardian. You can also give consent to a future landlord in order to receive a tenant reference.

Complete the third-part consent form and send it via email to the Accommodation Team.

Payments and Rent

Will I have to make a payment to secure my room?

You are required to make an advance rent payment to complete your booking.

Claude Gibb, Glenamara House, New Bridge Street, Trinity Square and Winn

  • £250 advance rent payment paid at the time of booking. The £250 will be deducted from the final rent installment.

Camden Court, Byron Central and Quay Point

  • £250 advance rent payment made directly to Unite. This will usually be requested within two days of us receiving your application. The £250 advance rent payment will be deducted from the first rent installment, which is normally due in October.   

iQ Stephenson House

  • £50 booking fee made directly to iQ Student Accommodation. This will usually be requested within two days of us receiving your application. The £50 booking fee will be used as an advance rent payment will be deducted from the first rent installment, which is normally due in August.   

I can't afford the advance rent payment, what can I do?

On occasion we may be able to accept a reduced advance rent payment in Claude Gibb, Glenamara House, New Bridge Street, Winn and Trinity Square.

If you require a reduced payment, please drop us an email to and we will review your request.

Will I get my advance rent payment back if I don't get the grades to come to Northumbria?

We like to hope that everybody will get their grades, but if you don’t, we will refund this minus a £50 termination fee.

We try to process all refunds as soon as possible but please be advised that during busy periods this can take up to four weeks.

Please note that if you do get the grades to come to Northumbria but decide not to continue with your accommodation booking for whatever reason, you will unfortunately forfeit the full advance rent payment.

This may vary in our partner accommodation, please see individual contracts for details.


What happens if I change my mind and no longer want to live in student accommodation?

This will vary depending upon which stage of the booking process you are at:

If you get your grades but you have changed your mind about living in accommodation, cancellation of your contract will be subject to an early termination fee of £250. A request for termination of the contract is only available prior to the start of the tenancy agreement. 

In the event you don’t get your grades and are rejected by the University, you will be refunded the full advance rent payment, minus a £50 termination fee.

If you have already moved into your accommodation you will be held accountable for the full accommodation contract unless you can find a suitable successor. A successor is another full-time enrolled Northumbria University student who is not already living in University accommodation who is a suitable fit for your flat. Should you find a suitable successor their will be a £50 administration/cleaning charge added onto your account.

How do I pay rent and when is it due?

Rent instalments will vary depending upon which building you are in.

Claude Gibb, Glenamara House, New Bridge Street, Trinity Square, Winn will all be due in three instalments that will fall in line with your student loan dates in October, January and May.

Camden Court, Byron Central and Quay Point will normally be due in four instalments in September, October, January and April.

iQ Stephenson House will normally be due in four instalments in August, October, January and April.

The exact payment dates for your contract will be stated on your tenancy agreement.

What is included in my rent?

Your rent includes all of your utility bills, basic contents insurance and Wi-Fi.

What does my contents insurance cover?

Your personal possessions are covered while you're in halls. Anything lost/stolen outside of halls won't be covered.

Your insurance provider for University-owned buildings (Claude Gibb, Glenamara House, New Bridge Street, Trinity Square and Winn) is Endsleigh Insurance. You can check what's included in your cover on the Certificate of Insurance. The claims calls phone number is 0800 923 4042.

Do I still have to pay rent if I go on placement?

Yes, our accommodation is for set dates and you will be required to pay for all dates in-between. 

If you are going on a placement, we would recommend looking at our single semester accommodation.

Arriving at University Accommodation

Where do I go to collect my keys?

You can collect your bedroom keys from your accommodation reception area. You will receive an email with your arrival information and will be invited to select an arrival time slot. You can confirm you arrival time slot via the Accommodation Section of Student Portal.

Can I move in early and will I have to pay extra?

Yes, if your room is available however, there will be an additional nightly charge to cover this.

Please drop us an email to arrange an early arrival.

If I arrive late do I get a refund?

No, our contracts have set start and end dates. Should you decide to arrive or leave earlier to these dates, you will not be entitled to a refund.

What time is the reception open?

Reception times will vary depending upon the building. Drop us an email if you would like and further information.

Can I arrive outside of reception opening times?

Yes, however depending on which building you have booked in you may need to contact our security team for entry.

Further information will be sent out to you closer to the time to arrange your arrival date and time.

How do I know which room I am in?

Your flat and room number is written on the top of your contract. For example NB01-2 means that you are in New Bridge Street, flat one, room 2.

Can I get my luggage posted to the accommodation before my arrival?

We will not accept any post for students who have not yet checked into the accommodation. Please arrange shipment of your luggage for the day of your arrival.

Facilities and What to Bring

What do I need to bring with me?

Your room is fully furnished, but you will need to bring your own bedding, towels and a desk lamp. You will also need cooking pots, crockery and cutlery.
We have created a comprehensive What to Bring Guide where you can find what is provided in your room and the team's recommendations on what to bring. 

If you wish to order items in advance, you can explore the UniKitOut service and get all essentials delivered to your accommodation. They pack and deliver a range of bathroom, kitchen and bedroom kits to your door. This is great for anyone travelling from afar or those who simply prefer to travel light. Visit UniKitOut to learn more and use promo code NORTHUM10 for a 10% discount. 

For students staying at iQ Student Accommodation, you will need to bring a kettle, toaster, iron and ironing board if required for your stay. 

Top Tip: Once you have found your future flatmates on Facebook, start a discussion about who is bringing what to avoid bringing the same items. Nobody flat needs 20 pans but you do need a wooden spoon!

Do I need a TV licence?

If you intend to watch or record live programmes on any device (including TV, laptop, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD), you must have a TV licence. See TV licensing authority information.

There are no aerial sockets in many of the bedrooms, so it is advised that you bring your own portable aerial and TV equipment if required. 

Can I get car parking?

Unfortunately there is no parking available as we are a green campus. Newcastle is a very small city and it is easy to get about on foot, bus or Metro and therefore there is very little need for a car. Learn more about sustainable travel to campus, public transport in Newcastle and cycling discounts.

Can my friends stay over?

Yes, friends can stay over for two nights over a seven day period.

Is there a gym in my accommodation?

Trinity Square and Quay Point have an onsite gym which is included in your rent. Did you know? The fitness suite at Trinity Square is undergoing a full refurbishment for September 2022. 

Alternatively, why not get a gym membership in Sport Central which will get you access to all of their gym classes, the pool, steam room and sauna.

Where do I do my laundry?

All of the accommodation, apart from Trinity Square, has communal laundry facilities which are card operated. Download the Circuit Laundry app so you can check when a machine is free and when your wash is finished so you don’t have to wait around. The average cost for using the laundry facilities is £2.90 for a wash cycle and £1.50 for a dry cycle (price may vary depending on the chosen setting).

Don’t like the idea of a launderette? Trinity Square has washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher within every flat giving you extra time for your studies.

Latest News and Features

Nigel Coates Business Clinic
THE Impact rankings
Architecture Apprenticeship Handbook cover
Pictured from left to right are Northumbria University academics Dr Qiang Wu, Dr Juna Sathian, Professor Zabih Ghassemlooy, Dr Yongtao Qu and Dr Xicong Li.
gettyimages/Kobus Louw
Insights North East
Felicia Gottman
Summer 2024 Newspaper
More events

Upcoming events

REVEAL: Architecture
REVEAL: Industrial Design
REVEAL: Graphic Design

Back to top