Skip navigation

Student Appeals and Complaints

The University has set procedures for students to appeal against academic or disciplinary decisions.

The University aspires for you to have a positive experience during your time with us as a student. Sometimes, the University doesn't get everything right and you may have an issue to raise with us. In these cases, there is a set of procedures that you can follow if you are dissatisfied.

When can I lodge an appeal or complaint?

The University has set procedures for students to appeal against academic or disciplinary decisions. There are also procedures to lodge complaints if you are dissatisfied with how you have been treated or disagree with other decisions by the University.

How do I start an appeal or complaint?

In all cases it is best to first raise any concerns you may have directly with the person most directly involved with your circumstances. If you remain dissatisfied you may raise your concerns formally (please refer to the relevant section of the Handbook of Student Regulations for further details).

How do I report unacceptable behaviour?

You can report unacceptable behaviour using the University's reporting tool. The University will then determine whether it is an allegation of misconduct made about another student to be considered under the Student Disciplinary Procedure, or a complaint about a member of staff to be considered under the Student Complaint Procedure. Signposting to support services will also be provided.

Will my appeal or complaint be treated fairly?

The University is recognised as taking student appeals and complaints seriously and investigating them carefully. It is proud of this, feeling that this is an important facet of its relationship with its students. Hopefully you will not need to use these procedures but, should you do so, you will find your concerns are listened to and considered in a fair manner.

Who will assess my formal appeal or complaint?

The Student Appeals and Complaints Office adjudicates on formal appeals and the Student Casework Team normally adjudicate on formal complaints. If you have any questions about these procedures you may contact the Student Appeals and Complaints Office by email (see below). Alternatively you may wish to contact the Students’ Union at I consult with them to ensure proper, transparent, access to the University's appeals and complaints processes. 

What if I am unhappy with the University’s decision?

The Office of the Independent Adjudicator (the OIA) is the ultimate body to whom students in English and Welsh universities may take their cases. It is completely independent of the universities. Students may only take their case to the OIA once all internal university processes have been completed and they have received a ‛Completion of Procedures Letter’. Further information may be obtained from the University Student Appeal and Complaints Office at or the OIA website.

Jennifer Kerr

Student Appeals and Complaints Officer

a sign in front of a crowd

Northumbria Open Days

Open Days are a great way for you to get a feel of the University, the city of Newcastle upon Tyne and the course(s) you are interested in.

Research at Northumbria

Research at Northumbria

Research is the life blood of a University and at Northumbria University we pride ourselves on research that makes a difference; research that has application and affects people's lives.

NU World

Explore NU World

Find out what life here is all about. From studying to socialising, term time to downtime, we’ve got it covered.

Latest News and Features

Military uniform
Nursing Degree Apprenticeship shortlisted for national award
Simulated learning using virtual reality recognised as example of best practice in nursing education
Mothers working on the quilts at the community workshops hosted by the researchers.
Greenland Ice Sheet near Kangerlussuaq, Greenland
A three-year research project, led by academics from Northumbria University, aims to better connect the care system and expand it include creative health approaches such as art, crafts, sports, gardening or cooking to provide holistic support tailored to individuals. Getty Images.
Dark green fritiliary (Speyeria aglaja) is a species for which local extinctions have been linked to a warming climate. Photo by Alistair Auffret.
Bridget Phillipson stood with Vice-Chancellor Andy Long and Roberta Blackman-woods

Back to top